Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Strong Alcohol Smell

Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 196

The water temp was kept between 63-66* for most of the time. No doubt it dropped a little lower and rose a little higher at times, but wasn't left at that temp long. I typically change out the frozen water bottles (500 ml-2 liter bottles) 3 times a day.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The wort temp will still be 3-8F higher than the water temp. Yeast give off heat during fermentation, so there is exothermic heat being produced that will heat the wort from within during active fermentation.

The thermal mass will definitely keep the ambient temp swings from affecting the wort temp, but the exothermic heat from the yeast during active fermentation will still very efficiently heat the wort.

If I were fermenting using the two yeast you did, I think I would aim for a 65F average internal fermentation temp, so I would have probably set my temp controller to 62 with a -3 differential.

Just curious, why did you decide to use two yeasts?

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
rodwha
Recipes 

The 1272 was nearly 2 months old IIRC, and didn't get started in the starter, though I now wonder if I gave it enough time, so I threw in some 001, which was going good 24 hrs later.

Some have taken off well enough after nearly 3 months. I'm not sure why that one did not.

I wish I would have given it more time as I think it may have had some good yeast left. Oh well... I'll eventually buy more yeast.

With chilled water I assumed the temp couldn't get much more than 3-5* higher. Hmmm. I don't want to chill them too much and make them lazy!

I know people have used fermometers, but having read about them they seem as though they can't take getting wet. So I've just read the water temp and assumed I was close to it.
"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 11-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #14
rodwha
Recipes 

We drank another tonight and found that once it warmed up it began to smell/taste like that again. At first, while cold, it is good, and not noticeable. So what is going on here???

Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
phatspade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How long ago was it bottled/kegged? Young beer has an alcohol taste to it if you don't give it time to condition. I get that with my batches I taste test every week until I'm out before its mature.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
rodwha
Recipes 

Initially I give them 3 weeks and put them in the fridge for 2-3 days before I pop any open.
These were bottled on 9-19 and have been in the fridge for a little more than 2 weeks.
Will cold temps subdue the smell/taste of fusels???
I have noticed this smell in a few of my other styles too.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #17
rodwha
Recipes 

Anyone have an idea what it is?
I would guess fusel alcohol, but White Labs said it would have to have been in the high 70's before that happens. I suppose it could have briefly. I can't say it certainly didn't as I don't know exactly what the interior temps were, and the water temps may have reached as high as 67-68* for short periods of time.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #18
phatspade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't think it's fusel alcohol just from having a pitching temp under 80F and fermentation was just around 70F. I dunno what else besides the other possibilities from a quick google search say oxidization. I wanna say the yeast possibly, but from everything I looked up don't point to the yeast unless you had high ferm temp...something higher than what you stated.

There's still a possibility that the beer is still a young beer and you're chasing ghosts.