Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Question about Brewing Classic Styles' Raspberry Porter

Old 11-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
buffaloipa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Question about Brewing Classic Styles' Raspberry Porter

I brewed it this past weekend. OG was just about dead on at 1.064. Since this is my first beer I have a couple of questions about fermentation. My plan is to rack on the fruit puree in the secondary after it reaches fg. I'm taking my first hydro reading at 7 days (tonight). Is it correct to wait until primary is completely finished? Also, is it necessary to move it to a third carboy for clarification ?

Old 11-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Your porter is going to be dark enough that clarification would be a misnomer. So long as you are careful racking and have no solids in your beer you are done. I'm curious how this will turn out because I just finished a "Strawberries n' Cream Stout" and the strong flavor of the stout totally overrode the berries. I imagine this may suffer the same fate.

Reason: the usual

Old 11-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
thasnazzle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'd imagine the acidity of the raspberries might be more pronounced, especially in a porter instead of a stout. Strawberries are fairly light in flavor.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasnazzle View Post
I'd imagine the acidity of the raspberries might be more pronounced, especially in a porter instead of a stout. Strawberries are fairly light in flavor.
Maybe, which is why I used twice as much as suggested in "Designing Great Beers"

Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
buffaloipa
Recipes 

I'm using the suggested 3 lbs of raspberry puree called for in the recipe. I'm hoping the fruit balances the dark, roasty grains and that I don't get a super raspberry beer. Does 3 weeks on the fruit sound right?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloipa
I'm using the suggested 3 lbs of raspberry puree called for in the recipe. I'm hoping the fruit balances the dark, roasty grains and that I don't get a super raspberry beer. Does 3 weeks on the fruit sound right?
I used three lbs in my recipe earlier this year. It took several months of aging before it was balanced. Very sweet and mostly raspberry when young. It did develop into a very good raspberry porter after several months, though. I also dropped in some lactose sugar and cocoa nibs for the ladies.