aging Belgians - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > aging Belgians

Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
tre9er
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts

Aging Belgians need to be cared for by qualified nurses and doctors, preferrably in their home country of Belgium, much the same was as aging Americans would. Thanks for visiting the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

People Like This 
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #22
SteelString_Will
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotsand View Post
Really? That's a first for me.....
As long as you do things right, you shouldn't have any oxidation issues..

I vote to bottle now and age in bottle...
I've done both, and theres no difference...plus it frees up a carboy!
Igotsand
Eh, I think anytime you are dealing with siphoning, mixing in sugar, then using gravity bottle filler without counter pressure, you are risking oxidation. And oxidation typically take a while to show up. I'm not saying that it will defintely happen, what I was saying was that I don't understand why you would risk that knowing that the flavor of the beer will not really benefit from a long aging process.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #23
crazyirishman34
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Newton, MA
Liked 87 Times on 76 Posts

If you are bottle conditioning the beer the yeast will use the small bit of O2 that gets introduced. Especially if you are carbing your beer up to 4 or 4.5 volumes of CO2.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #24
tre9er
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts

bottle conditioned beer will consume some oxygen and produce co2. Oxidation isn't much of a risk. Many Trappist breweries bottle condition with yeast as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #25
BrewinHooligan
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Mesa, AZ
Liked 1725 Times on 1154 Posts

Oxidation from corked bottles is more of a risk than oxidation from racking in this case.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 11-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #26
SteelString_Will
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Right, again, not saying it is very likely, but it is still a risk, and why would you risk it and age this beer a whole year when it is really done in 3 months?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #27
MickJ0nes
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
High alcohol Belgians age phenomenally, in my opinion. If brewed properly, the beer will be great upon bottling, but I dont think referring to it as it ages as "falling off" is appropriate. Sure, a beer will change over time but the only way I could see it being no good after a year is if you had something wrong with it.
Just bottled my first tripel today. Really happy with the nose and flavor of banana bubble gum. ABV was only 7.5 though. Hoping it will pick up another % in the bottle. Not sure about how pumped I am about the priming sugar in the kits. I would prefer it to be really effervescent. Wish I would have pitched again now.