aging Belgians - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > aging Belgians

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
AmandaK
 
AmandaK's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
KCMO
Posts: 1,500
Liked 142 Times on 106 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by elleric View Post
Im doing it for the best reason there is: because I can.

Also, thats just not what im looking for. Im sure I can make it and let it sit for 3 months and then drink away and it will be quite good. But I am looking for the added flavors and complexities that the age can add.
I didn't pose the question like that to say that you were stupid or that you can't, I have just noticed a shift towards the 'not so fresh' side when I actually did keep a Tripel around for that long.

I brewed one back in Sept 2010 and around July of the next year (after starting to drink it in December), it wasn't so good anymore. It lost it's estery/phenolic/perfumy nose and just kind of fell flat in the aroma department. So I did what anyone would do: I brewed another and drank it quickly after bottling.

YMMV, but in my own experiences, darker beers (ones with more complex flavors that need time to meld & develop - think RIS or BDSA) benefit from aging. Lighter beers (like Tripels, Blondes, or Saisons - ones with more delicate flavors) don't really benefit that much from aging, or in my case, aging degraded the beer.
__________________
BJCP Master Beer Judge

Polboy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
SteelString_Will
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 24
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Yeah, according to Brew Like a Monk, most triples go through a primary fermentation of 10-15 days, then are aged at around 0-2 degrees Celsius For 3-4 weeks. Then re pitched with yeast and bottle conditioned. But if you are going to age as long as you want to, definitely do it in the bottle unless you are aging on wood. Otherwise, it will be sitting on dead yeast for a long long time.

Not sure that I would recommend bottle aging this beer that long either, because you are risking oxidation by working with homebrewer equipment, and you will see those great Belgian yeast aromas fade as it ages.

crazyirishman34 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
bknifefight
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
PA
Posts: 1,956
Liked 110 Times on 82 Posts


High alcohol Belgians age phenomenally, in my opinion. If brewed properly, the beer will be great upon bottling, but I dont think referring to it as it ages as "falling off" is appropriate. Sure, a beer will change over time but the only way I could see it being no good after a year is if you had something wrong with it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
AmandaK
 
AmandaK's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
KCMO
Posts: 1,500
Liked 142 Times on 106 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
High alcohol Belgians age phenomenally, in my opinion. If brewed properly, the beer will be great upon bottling, but I dont think referring to it as it ages as "falling off" is appropriate. Sure, a beer will change over time but the only way I could see it being no good after a year is if you had something wrong with it.
To each their own.

However, I didn't say it was "no good". It changed in a way that I didn't want - the delicate aromas were nearly gone. Was it infected/papery/sour/disgusting? No.
__________________
BJCP Master Beer Judge

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
aubiecat
 
aubiecat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Alexander City, Alabama
Posts: 1,197
Liked 134 Times on 101 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehlgood View Post
+1

Just bottled an abbey last week after a little more than 4 weeks in primary. Pretty tasty after 1 week in the bottle and slightly carbonated.
Just did the same with a Belgian Dark Strong with the same results. The good thing is it will get better and better as time goes by.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
igotsand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
igotsand's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Vista, CA
Posts: 705
Liked 152 Times on 100 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelString_Will

Not sure that I would recommend bottle aging this beer that long either, because you are risking oxidation by working with homebrewer equipment, and you will see those great Belgian yeast aromas fade as it ages.
Really? That's a first for me.....
As long as you do things right, you shouldn't have any oxidation issues..


I vote to bottle now and age in bottle...
I've done both, and theres no difference...plus it frees up a carboy!
Igotsand

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
crazyirishman34
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
crazyirishman34's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Newton, MA
Posts: 1,812
Liked 87 Times on 76 Posts


I would agree that the Duval aging model is the best for a tripple but the Dark Strong Belgian can benifit from a long bottle ageing. I just got a Chimey Blue with an 2009 date on the cork. Very tasty

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
homebrewdad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,273
Liked 384 Times on 279 Posts


I recently started drinking an imperial nut brown that I let bulk age in secondary for about four months, then bottle age for another 4 plus. For what it's worth, I have seen zero issues with carbonation, and this is a better than 8% ABV brew.
__________________
Check out the priming sugar calculator, yeast starter calculator, and the beer calorie calculator.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Polboy
 
Polboy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Chicago, IL
Posts: 917
Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
I brewed one back in Sept 2010 and around July of the next year (after starting to drink it in December), it wasn't so good anymore. It lost it's estery/phenolic/perfumy nose and just kind of fell flat in the aroma department. So I did what anyone would do: I brewed another and drank it quickly after bottling.

YMMV, but in my own experiences, darker beers (ones with more complex flavors that need time to meld & develop - think RIS or BDSA) benefit from aging. Lighter beers (like Tripels, Blondes, or Saisons - ones with more delicate flavors) don't really benefit that much from aging, or in my case, aging degraded the beer.
I agree with this statement, I can keep RIS, BDSA and Dubbels for very long time and they benefit from long aging, i have 9 months old tripel and it was better two months ago than it is now.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
AmandaK
 
AmandaK's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
KCMO
Posts: 1,500
Liked 142 Times on 106 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyirishman34 View Post
I would agree that the Duval aging model is the best for a tripple but the Dark Strong Belgian can benifit from a long bottle ageing. I just got a Chimey Blue with an 2009 date on the cork. Very tasty
Agreed. I have a BDSA from February of 2011 that is aging magnificently. The version aged on Brett Lambicus is really just awesome - my how it has changed for the better!
__________________
BJCP Master Beer Judge

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belgians worksnorth Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 1 04-18-2012 04:33 AM
Belgians using 2-Row? Phunhog Recipes/Ingredients 4 07-07-2011 07:57 PM
Crazy Belgians! MBasile Fermentation & Yeast 1 06-17-2011 08:30 PM
Aging Belgians (or not) Sixbillionethans General Techniques 2 09-27-2008 05:31 PM
American Belgians? Drunkagain General Beer Discussion 32 12-07-2007 03:31 PM


Forum Jump