Refreezing yeast - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Refreezing yeast
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
strumke
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Refreezing yeast

I started a frozen yeast bank and the freezer door was left open for maybe a half day and the yeast vials are no longer frozen. The tubes are still sealed and I gave them a good shake to mix up the yeast again.

Any chance these are still going to be viable if I refreeze them?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Damn that's a good question. There is so little yeast to begin with. Try to make a starter with one and see if you get any action. Always try to keep the frozen yeast in a small ice chest surrounded with ice packs. That way it stays frozen during the freezer cycle. Or in case you leave the door open again lol.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
bratrules
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumke View Post
I started a frozen yeast bank and the freezer door was left open for maybe a half day and the yeast vials are no longer frozen. The tubes are still sealed and I gave them a good shake to mix up the yeast again.

Any chance these are still going to be viable if I refreeze them?
So did you ever find out if the yeast was is viable?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
strumke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Not yet, I'll plan the next brew day around one of the yeasts in the freezer and see what happens when I start stepping up. Unfortunately I don't have a microscope to count live cells so I'll just go on fermentation activity in the starter.

I'll post when I do brew, but I think it'll be at the end of the month.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
bratrules
Recipes 

Cool I would love to hear your results.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
strumke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Success!

I took a vial of WLP002 out, thawed it in my hand and pitched it into ~200ml of starter wort last week. It took 2 days, but that fermented out and the whole lot went into a larger flask with another 500ml. 3 days later I cold crashed and decanted off about 300ml, and then added another 1500ml, which is spinning away nicely right now.

I don't know how the thaw/refreeze/thaw impacted overall cell counts, but I do know that I'm growing yeast and the starter beer does taste normal.

I'll report back after my brew on Wed ferments through (planning a 1.090 English barleywine)

Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #7
bratrules
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. In case I ever leave my yeast out. By mistake of course. I would hate to lose all my frozen yeast bank!!