Alternative Method for Freeze Concentration - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Alternative Method for Freeze Concentration

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,882
Liked 411 Times on 291 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmatic View Post
If you want to freeze a large batch, why don't you try freezing it in a bottling bucket, then just open the drain when your ready to seperate it. It might take awhile, but it might also be a lot less effort on your part
Sorry to revive a frozen thread, hehe. I am going to give this a shot with a stout and a bottling bucket tonight. We just got a load of snow so it will be cold enough to do this outside.

Any tips for using the bucket to freeze concentrate?
__________________
Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Stevo2569
 
Stevo2569's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
C-VILLE, Tn
Posts: 1,283
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox

Sorry to revive a frozen thread, hehe. I am going to give this a shot with a stout and a bottling bucket tonight. We just got a load of snow so it will be cold enough to do this outside.

Any tips for using the bucket to freeze concentrate?
No tips but let us know how it goes. I gotta a stout I'm thinking of doing some.
__________________
Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace


My Brewing Apparatus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
calimainer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 30

My issue with using the bottling bucket is the beer in the spigot will most likely freeze, which will make it hard to drain off the alcohol. If you have the option to use a bunch of empty milk jugs that would be the best option. I did that with a mead which went from 16% to somewhere in the mid 20s.

Another thing Stevo, and this is up to personal taste, but concentrating a stout would make a really thick beer. Stout is so thick that it might turn out like a milkshake.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,882
Liked 411 Times on 291 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by calimainer View Post
My issue with using the bottling bucket is the beer in the spigot will most likely freeze, which will make it hard to drain off the alcohol. If you have the option to use a bunch of empty milk jugs that would be the best option. I did that with a mead which went from 16% to somewhere in the mid 20s.

Another thing Stevo, and this is up to personal taste, but concentrating a stout would make a really thick beer. Stout is so thick that it might turn out like a milkshake.
My spigot did freeze, so draining there was not an option. And the whole reason I was interested in concentrating my stout is because it is not thick enough.
__________________
Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,882
Liked 411 Times on 291 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo2569 View Post
No tips but let us know how it goes. I gotta a stout I'm thinking of doing some.
Bottling bucket was easy. Uncapped bottles and slowly poured contents into bucket, then slapped the lid on and put it outside (~8F) overnight.

The next morning I broke up the ice with my mash paddle and scooped it out with a strainer. I let the strainer sit on the edge for a few minutes to drain the liquid. After one freeze overnight @ 8F, I removed 0.5gal of volume from the 3.75gal total. I would like to do a few more rounds of freeze and remove, until I have reduced the vol by about half I think.

The ice tasted sweet, and was slightly brown as you can see. I have not tasted my concentrated beverage yet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121219_181354.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	89426   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121220_072219.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	89427   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121220_072230.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	89428  
__________________
Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
kpr121
 
kpr121's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,147
Liked 127 Times on 111 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by calimainer View Post
My issue with using the bottling bucket is the beer in the spigot will most likely freeze, which will make it hard to drain off the alcohol. If you have the option to use a bunch of empty milk jugs that would be the best option. I did that with a mead which went from 16% to somewhere in the mid 20s.

Another thing Stevo, and this is up to personal taste, but concentrating a stout would make a really thick beer. Stout is so thick that it might turn out like a milkshake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
My spigot did freeze, so draining there was not an option. And the whole reason I was interested in concentrating my stout is because it is not thick enough.
Maybe use a hair dryer to heat up the spigot?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,882
Liked 411 Times on 291 Posts


So my eistout and apple jack have been through two overnight freezes.

This is not exactly accurate, but for estimation purposes, I used C1V1=C2V2 to determine the change in ABV:

C1(2gal)=(6%)(3.75gal) --> C1= 11.25% for the stout and ~20% for the applejack.

The stout is now sweet and thick alcohol burn and the applejack is nearly brandy. The flavor is excellent on both. Although, now I understand that freeze concentrating concentrates all flavors, even bad ones.

A bucket and a fine mesh strainer, outside when it is cold enough, is a fantastically easy way to do this.

Thanks for the ideas, I think this will now become a regular thing.
__________________
Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 9,521
Liked 1358 Times on 1043 Posts


Did this once with an applewine, as suggested earlier, I froze a couple 2 liter soda bottles for a few days in the freezer, then simply uncap and invert over a funnel draining to a bottle, after twenty minutes or so the ice and slush left in the bottle is clear and you have the "fortified" liquid drained into the bottle. I agree, all good and bad flavors are concentrated, but after a couple years on the basement shelf, this applejack brandy has improved as I curiously take a nip every 6 months or so.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
edsrockin
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
newport, tn, TN
Posts: 76


i wonder .... since gallon jugs tend to be cheap and the ice tends to freeze on top of the beer/wort, why not just sanitize the bottom of the jug used to freeze and slice/punch a hole in the bottom of it? then the liquid would flow out and the ice would remain. then you can you use the jugs as a funnel or toss/recycle them. just a thought.
__________________
hoppy brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
pdxal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Portland, OR
Posts: 1,590
Liked 172 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
So my eistout and apple jack have been through two overnight freezes.

This is not exactly accurate, but for estimation purposes, I used C1V1=C2V2 to determine the change in ABV:

C1(2gal)=(6%)(3.75gal) --> C1= 11.25% for the stout and ~20% for the applejack.

The stout is now sweet and thick alcohol burn and the applejack is nearly brandy. The flavor is excellent on both. Although, now I understand that freeze concentrating concentrates all flavors, even bad ones.

A bucket and a fine mesh strainer, outside when it is cold enough, is a fantastically easy way to do this.

Thanks for the ideas, I think this will now become a regular thing.
Your alcohol percents might be off. I remember reading somewhere that the concentration of alcohol possible is related to how cold the temperature gets rather than volume removed.
I think the 2 liter bottle method is easy if you are using a freezer to freeze the beverage, but there are lots of ways to do it that work.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freeze concentration experiment roadymi Cider Forum 27 02-28-2014 07:29 PM
Freeze concentration specifics szucconi Brew Science 3 11-26-2012 01:54 PM
freeze concentration for barely wine. RobbyBeer General Techniques 1 02-09-2012 09:37 AM
Alternative lautering method? iddqd All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 10-26-2009 07:31 PM
Alternative method to dry hop? jlpred55 General Techniques 13 08-07-2009 06:10 PM


Forum Jump