Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Cold Crashing in Freezer?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
nitack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cold Crashing in Freezer?

So I'm working on my first attempt to cold crash. Right now my mead is in the refrigerator, but I don't think the temps get into the 40's that I've seen people talk about as optimal for cold crashing. Is there a downside to cold crashing in the freezer? I know that the water and alcohol will separate out as a freeze distillation, but is there anything wrong with dropping it in the fridge to melt and recombine after it has frozen?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have cold crashed successfully using lowest setting in refrig...rack first, crash, rack, repeat as necessary...but the most important thing to know is: what is the temp range on your yeast because if you have a chill tolerant yeast, you need to be even more cognizant of temp.

I do not know that I would crash in freezer, definitely not in glass carboy. If you can ramp up the temp to above freezing...

Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6207 Times on 4420 Posts
Likes Given: 1654

If your refrigerator isn't below about 40 degrees, then your food isn't safe! You definitely want to store food at 40 degrees or cooler, so that would be a big concern to me if the fridge is too warm. Unless it's a beer fridge, of course, and you like your beer closer to 50 degrees.

Either way, the fridge should be at least 10-20 degrees cooler than room temperature which would work fine for a cold crash.

Do not freeze the mead!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
nitack
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Correction, fridge is in the low 40s. Pulled out my infra-red sensor.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Then drop the temp in your fridge. Yooper is right. 40 is the top for food storage.

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.