Canadian Roll Call!! - Page 11 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Canadian Roll Call!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #101
dino821235
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
calgary, Alberta
Posts: 12
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Good to see another Home brewer from Calgary......i am a all-grain brewer from NW calgary and have been brewing for about 2 years now and am finally getting some good beers with all-grain.Just brewed a Janets Brown....looking forward to that one....

Oldbrew75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #102
jrstacey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jrstacey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 36
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Just stumbled on this thread.

I've been brewing beer and wine kits on and off for the last 10+ years. After getting fed up wit the kits I started doing partial mash/BIAB and cider. Finally gearing up to all grain this spring.

Oldbrew75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #103
OppamaBrendan
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Oppama, 追浜, Kanagawa, 神奈川県
Posts: 247
Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts


Hi guys, I am visiting Canada in about 2 weeks and want to buy some stuff to bring back to Japan with me. I will be going to Vancouver first and then spending 10 days in the Edmonton & Camrose area. I know Dan's homebrew supply in Vancouver and have bought from them before. Can anyone recommend some shops in the Edmonton area? I found estate brewing on google but no prices or indication if stuff is out of stock. Any that have online catalogues so I can compare prices? I want to see if it is worth picking up stuff in Vancouver during my first 2 days or if there are well stocked shops accessible later. Looking for an autosiphon or 2, a bottle sanitizer pump, stock of dry yeasts, and other misc stuff that is small enough for my suitcase.
Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #104
MoreHops
 
MoreHops's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Vancouver, BC
Posts: 75
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
Hi guys, I am visiting Canada in about 2 weeks and want to buy some stuff to bring back to Japan with me. I will be going to Vancouver first and then spending 10 days in the Edmonton & Camrose area. I know Dan's homebrew supply in Vancouver and have bought from them before. Can anyone recommend some shops in the Edmonton area? I found estate brewing on google but no prices or indication if stuff is out of stock. Any that have online catalogues so I can compare prices? I want to see if it is worth picking up stuff in Vancouver during my first 2 days or if there are well stocked shops accessible later. Looking for an autosiphon or 2, a bottle sanitizer pump, stock of dry yeasts, and other misc stuff that is small enough for my suitcase.
Thanks!
I can't give any Edmonton area advice, but here in the Van area, we've got a couple other HBSs in addition to Dan's that might be worth checking out:
1. Bosa Grape http://ecom.bosagrape.com/home.php
2. Barley's Homebrewing http://www.barleyshomebrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #105
Cultkid
 
Cultkid's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 169
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts


The only place to really buy from is Winning Wines Plus in Edmonton. The Southside store has the best selection of yeasts and hops, but the west side store has a better malt selection, and they will mill your grains for you.
__________________

Bottles: Raspberry Lambic | Ginger Beer | Honey Barley Wine

Kegs: Zombie Hopocalypse IPA | Dubbel or Nothing | Bad Machine Chocolate Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #106
OppamaBrendan
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Oppama, 追浜, Kanagawa, 神奈川県
Posts: 247
Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts


Thanks guys!
I might have to go to Barley's just to get something milled BY BICYCLE POWER! That is awesome!

I recall Bosa now (near Royal Oak station I think) and haven't ordered from them before. Do you need to order ahead of time for Bosa or can you just go to their address? I am interested in cheesmaking (did a couple mozzarella attempts last month) and since they carry cheese supplies as well I would like to go talk and shop.

Cultkid, can you tell me if Winning Wines has extensive equipment as well? Their site just lists a lot of kit wines and beers but its really only the equipment and small things that I will be able to bring back to Japan with me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #107
ChrisfromAbby
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Abbotsford, BC
Posts: 141
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
Hi guys, I am visiting Canada in about 2 weeks and want to buy some stuff to bring back to Japan with me.
My other hobby brings me to Japan (Kashiwa area) once in awhile. Maybe I can brinh stuff along. I live in Abbotsford. Could be fun to meet a brewer there/here!

Chris

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #108
Cultkid
 
Cultkid's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 169
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan

Cultkid, can you tell me if Winning Wines has extensive equipment as well? Their site just lists a lot of kit wines and beers but its really only the equipment and small things that I will be able to bring back to Japan with me.
They have everything from $10 racking canes and $3 fermometers, to $500 20gal boil kettles and $300 stir plates. I wouldn't say they have a HUGE selection, but they have lots of stuff.

Send me a private message when you get here, and I'll hook you up with a couple of homebrews!

If you're here on April 8, that's the Edmonton Home Brewer's Guild monthly meeting day. We have it at Alley Kat brewery, and I'm sure no one would object if you dropped in for a visit! :cheers:
__________________

Bottles: Raspberry Lambic | Ginger Beer | Honey Barley Wine

Kegs: Zombie Hopocalypse IPA | Dubbel or Nothing | Bad Machine Chocolate Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #109
Cultkid
 
Cultkid's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 169
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts


Ps: meeting is at 19:00 usually.
__________________

Bottles: Raspberry Lambic | Ginger Beer | Honey Barley Wine

Kegs: Zombie Hopocalypse IPA | Dubbel or Nothing | Bad Machine Chocolate Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #110
OppamaBrendan
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Oppama, 追浜, Kanagawa, 神奈川県
Posts: 247
Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts


Thats always a welcome idea! There are some suppliers here we get malts and hops from but the selection isn't extensive and some things just aren't easy to get at reasonable prices. For cheesemaking I bought 3 grams of rennet for about 15 bucks when 30 grams goes for 30 bucks in Canada - thats a hell of a markup. I think there are one or two guys that brew in the Kashiwa area as well, if its the place just northeast of Tokyo you mean.
Cheers!
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisfromAbby View Post
My other hobby brings me to Japan (Kashiwa area) once in awhile. Maybe I can brinh stuff along. I live in Abbotsford. Could be fun to meet a brewer there/here!

Chris

ChrisfromAbby Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mississippi Roll Call Daybis South East Homebrew Forum 132 10-02-2015 02:17 PM
Hattiesburg Roll Call BrotherGrim South East Homebrew Forum 13 06-29-2015 08:39 PM
Georgia roll call Ironhead South East Homebrew Forum 253 03-07-2014 03:50 PM
GABF Roll-Call kerklein2 General Beer Discussion 8 08-29-2009 03:21 PM
Del-Mar-Va Roll call 98EXL Brewing Events & Local Gatherings 21 07-12-2007 07:58 PM


Forum Jump