Canadian Roll Call!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigB

Reaction score
I searched around and couldn't find a thread like this so I guess I'll get the ball rolling!

Just drop in say hi, say where you're from, that way we can more easily find people close to us!

A little about me, I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba...home to the longest Grey cup winning drought and the Jets!! I just started brewing, on my second batch, I messed up my first pretty bad...can't wait for the second batch to be ready! I'm looking for the go to place for beer supplies here in the peg, If anyone can help out that would be awesome!

Darrell:mug:

I'm in the Brandon area now, but for Winnipeg, Grape and Grain on Osborne. it's co-located with Game Knight Games, so don't walk away if you spot the geeky game store, just go in the door and to the left. Grains are in a separate room in the basement.

Prices are fantastic by prairie standards, especially for all-grain supplies, and they carry locally malted pale malt and locally grown hops.

http://www.grapeandgrain.ca/

Hey everyone!

Just joined today, been brewing in Winnipeg (and the Whiteshell) for about ten years.

I do mostly extract brewing, but don't look askew at the occasional all-grain batch with friends to help.

My ultimate goal - get my hands on some MB grown barley and wheat, malt it, boil it with hops from my backyard, and find out what this province really tastes like!

Hey everyone!

Just joined today, been brewing in Winnipeg (and the Whiteshell) for about ten years.

I do mostly extract brewing, but don't look askew at the occasional all-grain batch with friends to help.

My ultimate goal - get my hands on some MB grown barley and wheat, malt it, boil it with hops from my backyard, and find out what this province really tastes like!

I would love to do that as well, just have to get a few extract beers to turn out first!
Luxalune is doing that on a bigger scale, they have their Farmery beer, it's a locally grown and brewed beer from their estate brewery that they make themselves to serve at their bar.

AG brewer from Surrey BC here.

Started with extract about five years ago. Made the switch only when the owner of my LHBS, Dan Small (Dan's Homebrewing in Vancouver) 'refused' (lol) to sell me any more extract. That was about three years ago and I'm glad he did.

I'm running a direct fire keggle based 5 gal. rig with a Brewers Hardware RIMS tube run by a Brewtroller 4.0. Had it all automated with seven valves until I figured out that AMP connectors are not splash proof. Had to strip it back to switching hoses until I replace them. Pretty mad I was so short sighted. It was no fun trying to brew with random valves opening and closing...

I built a four tap keg-o-rator and have nine cornies. Five primaries keep the pipeline flowing. I try to brew at least once a week as my buddies and I go through an alarming amount of beer. Current house fave is a Belgian Quad modeled on Rochefort 10. Still not a clone but getting closer.

Cheers!

Have you tried Farmery? They're sold out every time I'm there...if you've had it, how is it?

I'm drying my fourth pound of malt right now!

Have you tried Farmery? They're sold out every time I'm there...if you've had it, how is it?

I'm drying my fourth pound of malt right now!

I have tried it, it was pretty good, I would say its like a lager/pils....I'm not great at telling which is which...at least in the lighter stuff. But it was pretty good! Next time I'm there I'll see if they have it.

Hey I'm from a small town in Ontario, but I live in Guelph now that I'm going to school. I brewed all grain during the summer when I was home but am brewing extract now that I'm back at school and have less room.
Cheers!

My wife is from North Dakota which makes me like 80% Canadian...
HoppyDaze: Welcome. I've often thought there's parts of Canada I'd trade for Oregon in a hurry...and North Dakota? is almost like home for a lot of 'Peggers.

I regard my time spent in Portland as my brewing pilgrimage. I went in a moosehead drinking boy, and came out a micro-brew emulating man.

Cheers!

-Boreal

Canada is awesome. I wish my wife could handle the cold. So beautiful, good people, smoke and beer

Weclome, ModestMeader. You're practically in the neighbourhood...give or take 500 miles of rocks and trees!

Perhaps a stupid question - do you know of anyone making sahti (Finnish rye beer with juniper filtration/flavouring) around Thunder Bay? I ask because of the large number of families with Finnish ancestry in the area. I'm intrigued by sahti, and am wondering if anybody in Canada's making it.

Im Carnell From port Moody a Vancouver suburb. I do extract brewing so far (on my third) i just started kegging on my second batch, which is a "hemp" ale and people are raving!

Hello, fellow fans of the maple leaf!

I'm an all grain brewer from Kelowna British Columbia.

I've been brewing for almost 2 years now, maybe 50 brews under the belt. I run an electric fired brew-in-a-bag (BIAB) rig indoors year round which does me very well and makes brewing a real enjoyable warm time :)

I've fully modded a fridge (two, actually) to make a kegerator (one for a friend) and have stripped down a mini fridge to it's guts and transplanted them in my home-built fermentation chamber which now keeps all my fermentations happy.

If a hoped-for job offer comes through, I might be moving to Calgary. :) But nobody from Calgary has responded yet...:(

Watch out... taxes are very high up here and cost of living is as bad or worse than even LA.... Then you can not get good access to parts or good beer!

I am an X Newport Beacher who lives north of Toronto by 1 hour. This place makes SOCAL look cost effective...

I'm in vancouver and brew english session beers, german lagers using a canadian tire propane turkey fryer for 17L BIAB batches.

I'm an A.G. brewer from Chilliwack BC where hops were grown commercially for over 100 years! Still "wild" hops growing in the blackberries on the edges of the former hop fields but no one knows what varietals they are. I've been AG brewing most of this year and before that was doing Coopers/ Brewhouse kits since 2006. I use a 50 and 20litre SS pots, homemade 48qt Coleman cooler mashtun with custom SS false bottom and 70,000BTU propane burner. I only bottle so far but I'm happy with that.

...to all the Vancouver area brewers, checkout the vanbrewers homebrew club (if you haven't already). A great way to meet other homebrewers, try what other people are brewing and get in on bulk grain and hop buys that can get almost anything (a must if you want to brew something british and don't want to use gambrinus esb and domestic goldings)

Kamloops BC here. Mini mash on the stove, but asking for a turkey fryer for Christmas to make the switch to all grain. Been brewing about 1 year.

Am from Vancouver and pretty new to HBT. Also fairly new to home brewing. Started 7 months ago with kits (tried Coopers ESB and then Barons IPA). Found both lacking something (eg body). So moved into malt extract (amber ale and then an IPA, both dry-hopped). Still wasn't satisfied. So am now on my 3rd batch of all-grain (have a Nut Brown in secondary) after doing 2 pale ales, both with the same grain bill & hop schedule, but dabbling in water chemistry and changing yeasts. Results are improving... but my efficiencies are a bit low.
Invested in Beersmith last week (bad timing on my part since it's on sale this weekend), but I think it'll help me out a bunch. Now am just waiting to free up my gear to brew another batch.

Am from Vancouver and pretty new to HBT. Also fairly new to home brewing. Started 7 months ago with kits (tried Coopers ESB and then Barons IPA). Found both lacking something (eg body). So moved into malt extract (amber ale and then an IPA, both dry-hopped). Still wasn't satisfied. So am now on my 3rd batch of all-grain (have a Nut Brown in secondary) after doing 2 pale ales, both with the same grain bill & hop schedule, but dabbling in water chemistry and changing yeasts. Results are improving... but my efficiencies are a bit low.
Invested in Beersmith last week (bad timing on my part since it's on sale this weekend), but I think it'll help me out a bunch. Now am just waiting to free up my gear to brew another batch.

Before messing with the near perfect vancouver water read this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/ It discusses brewing with RO water which is essentially what comes out of our taps here. Most of what is written in homebrew books deals with the hard water that plagues most north american brewers and doesn't apply to us.

Thanks gbx. But I should've elaborated -- I meant that I was futzing with water chemistry by adding a bit of gypsum to make my yeast happier (Ca2+) and sulphate to make the hops "pop" a bit more. I'm going to experiment with CaCl2 to play with maltiness. And then ratios (Beersmith to the rescue!). I like experimenting (I have a PhD in a science field....so it's a little engrained). ;-).
Just an example of why i like to experiment/test: Van water SUPPOSEDLY has a pH in the range of ~6.7. However, when I test it straight out of my tap or after leaving water out overnight, I get readings of ~5.2 (good for mashing, but the fish in my aquarium aren't terribly excited about it...). Maybe it's just my neighbourhood or house. I've been contemplating a Ward Labs analysis...
That all being said, I had read AJ's water primer a while ago and thought it was an excellent resource. It actually got me started at looking into my water. But I'm not trying to change my water too much... just trying to get it "perfect" (for the style of beer)...
Cheers!

Thanks gbx. But I should've elaborated -- I meant that I was futzing with water chemistry by adding a bit of gypsum to make my yeast happier (Ca2+) and sulphate to make the hops "pop" a bit more. I'm going to experiment with CaCl2 to play with maltiness. And then ratios (Beersmith to the rescue!). I like experimenting (I have a PhD in a science field....so it's a little engrained). ;-).
Just an example of why i like to experiment/test: Van water SUPPOSEDLY has a pH in the range of ~6.7. However, when I test it straight out of my tap or after leaving water out overnight, I get readings of ~5.2 (good for mashing, but the fish in my aquarium aren't terribly excited about it...). Maybe it's just my neighbourhood or house. I've been contemplating a Ward Labs analysis...
That all being said, I had read AJ's water primer a while ago and thought it was an excellent resource. It actually got me started at looking into my water. But I'm not trying to change my water too much... just trying to get it "perfect" (for the style of beer)...
Cheers!

I did a series of mash pH tests a earlier this year (I posted some of the results to the water primer thread). Every time I've checked the water out of the tap it was between 6.7 and 7.1 so there are clearly some daily variations. I never saw anything that low but with such pure water it probably wouldn't take much to drop the pH into the 5s. I never had was a mash that was so out of range that it was in dire need of any sort of adjustment (a 100% pilsner malt mash was at the high end, a 70+ srm IRS was at the low end but both were still in range). ...but my experiments were hardly scientific. If you've done any mash pH tests, I'd love to see the results.

I'm brand new to homebrewing, my main motivation being how stupidly expensive booze is in Canada.

I am in Burnaby BC and so far have only dabbled in mead making as it seems easier than GF beer or wine.

I would love to get into wine making but don't know where to start.

While I have the attention of all 10 canadians on this board... What's the deal with amazon.ca? Why is there no homebrew gear, like air locks or hydrometers? Amazon.com has a nice selection but say they can't send it to cananda, what gives?

I'm brand new to homebrewing, my main motivation being how stupidly expensive booze is in Canada.

I am in Burnaby BC and so far have only dabbled in mead making as it seems easier than GF beer or wine.

I would love to get into wine making but don't know where to start.

While I have the attention of all 10 canadians on this board... What's the deal with amazon.ca? Why is there no homebrew gear, like air locks or hydrometers? Amazon.com has a nice selection but say they can't send it to cananda, what gives?

I Dont know, but give dan's home brewing a shot on hastings. I recently went to the states and assumed breing stuff would be cheaper there, its not!

dan has airlocks for less than a buck i think, and hes fairly close if you live in burnaby.

I Dont know, but give dan's home brewing a shot on hastings. I recently went to the states and assumed breing stuff would be cheaper there, its not!

dan has airlocks for less than a buck i think, and hes fairly close if you live in burnaby.

Dan's has the cheapest prices you will find anywhere and his stuff is always super fresh (its rare to find a wyeast smack pack in his fridge that is more than a week old) The only downside is his selection is limited and he only sells hops by the oz. If you are starting out, Dan's is definitely the place to go. If you are nerding out and looking for a specific brand named item or malt, Bosa Grape in Burnaby it awesome.

Welcome to the Club, originally from Ontario, Livin in Victoria BC now. Just did my first batch turned out great planning my second batch either an IPA or Porter. Dont know which way I am going to go yet.

Back