Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How lmuch light is to much?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
cheesehed007
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default How lmuch light is to much?

I ave 1st brew fermenting in our wash room. In a shower we don't use since our son I off to college. The shades are down and curtain drawn. It's been in there for a few days. Today I poked a hole in a Hefty bag and put over the carboy... Just wondering. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
dmashl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I use the box that the carboy came in to cover my bottle.

cheesehed007 Likes This 
Old 10-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
CowboyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have one of mine covered with a beach towel with a slit in it for the neck, and the other wrapped with a dark colored t-shirt I cut up the back so it would fit snug. I know that light kills the resins and yeast during the fermentation process so as long as the fermenter is covered it should be alright.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 442 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
I know that light kills the resins and yeast during the fermentation process so as long as the fermenter is covered it should be alright.
I've never heard that light kills yeast. I'm 99.9% sure that's not true. Try as you might, I don't think you can "kill the resins" with light either.

The only issue with light and beer is blue, green, and UV light interacts with an chemical compound in hops to produce sulfurs that "skunk" the beer. I don't know scientifically how much it takes, but I ferment all of my beers in uncovered glass carboys in a spare bedroom with two windows with normal cheap blinds, and have never had an issue.

I can only deduce that exposure to indirect light for 4-6 weeks at a time is not enough to skunk beer, therefore your beer covered with a bag in the shower with the shades drawn is going to be just fine.
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!
People Like This 
Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 580

I used to ferment in a bathroom that had a small window with blinds, no covers over the carboy. Indirect light is fine, as long as it's not prolonged exposure, and I think it would have to be pretty long.
cheesehed007 Likes This 
Old 10-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
CowboyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
I've never heard that light kills yeast. I'm 99.9% sure that's not true. Try as you might, I don't think you can "kill the resins" with light either.

The only issue with light and beer is blue, green, and UV light interacts with an chemical compound in hops to produce sulfurs that "skunk" the beer. I don't know scientifically how much it takes, but I ferment all of my beers in uncovered glass carboys in a spare bedroom with two windows with normal cheap blinds, and have never had an issue.

I can only deduce that exposure to indirect light for 4-6 weeks at a time is not enough to skunk beer, therefore your beer covered with a bag in the shower with the shades drawn is going to be just fine.
Yeast stress is of coarse a big issue in fermentation and anything you can do to keep them yeasties calm the better, UV light stresses yeast. I was only quoting what I have been informed of from crew at my local HBS. I was incorrect with my wording in "kills yeast". UV will break down the resins inside the carboy. Everyone has their own method and some insist to know more than others, I'm still noob so do as you may.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
cheesehed007
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Thanks so much. All good info!!! Cheers!