Sandy vs. my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeuristicsInc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A week and a half ago (Sunday) I brewed a beer - Northern Brewer's Belgian Dubbel kit, but with White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast (with starter). Lots of nice fermentation bubbles, slowed down a lot by the end of the weekend (7 days after brew day), no longer seeing bubbles in the airlock. White Labs says the yeast likes 68-78, fermentation was in my basement, around 70. Monday comes, hurricane comes nearby. Power went out around noon on Monday, out until around 7pm Tuesday. Temps in the house got down to around 62. Now it's back to around 68-70 (my thermometers disagree). Is there anything I should be doing, or just wait and see what happened? Has my yeast gone to sleep?
Last I checked, Sunday night, there was a lot of krausen still on top so I couldn't check the gravity. Recipe says to rack to seconday this coming Sunday.
Thanks.
-bill

Hope you and your family are ok Sandy looks crazy bad on tv!! Cooling down didn't hurt your beer id give it another week and check the gravity then rack/bottle if your at or near your FG.

Yeah, family is fine. Kids were a bit weirded out by the change in routine (they're 1 and 3) but it worked out. We're in Maryland, not the worst hit by this storm, but our power company is incompetent so we expected the power to go out.
I'll check the gravity on Sunday as planned. Recipe calls for an extended 1 month secondary.
-bill

I've also noticed some belgian ale yeasts the krausen lasts even after the fermentation is done alot like kolsch yeast.. trust the gravity reading. Good luck

Right on I just checked my Belgian strong ale today and it was down to 1.008. So i racked to secondary to age it a bit more. Used wyeast 1388 that I have never used before.. taste test was ok but not as good as my tripel that i fermented with 3787. I hope it turns out good.

My pumpkin ale weathered the storm nicely and I kegged it a few days later. Cheers!

Back