Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Caustics
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 10-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
leaf
Recipes 

Oct 2012
tempe, az
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was wondering if potassium or sodium hydroxide has any applications in cleaning of homebrew equipment. I am aware it can etch glass and melt plastic, but even in weaker solutions it still possesses an ability to break down organic material. (at least from my previous experiences in lab)
I've never used it but isn't pbw essentially a weak form of caustic? Seems to me it would be more economical just to buy food grade potassium hydroxide instead.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
mattd2
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Liked 303 Times on 242 Posts

You could but it is still dangerous at low concentrations - http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=27559
It is good for CIP but not worth the risk IMO when you don't really need CIP.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Fraser, MI
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

The big boys use a 5% solution to clean the brewery, but as matt says, it's incredibly dangerous to us organics.
The pics in the link matt posted are horrifying. No way in hell I'd try it at home.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Ridley Park, PA
Liked 56 Times on 41 Posts

I use Sodium Hydroxide at 3% w/v (113 grams in 1 gallon) and 180F for heat exchanger, keg and fermenter cleaning. A good cold water rinse and then a rinse in saniclean are needed to neutralize it. You need to use good safety practices and procedures with potentially dangerous chemicals. At the same concentrations that Five Star recommends for their PBW, it costs about the same as the concentration I use but doesn't have the same cleaning power.
Barrel aged: Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 11-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
leaf
Recipes 

Oct 2012
tempe, az
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the good info and advice everyone! I am usually very safe around chemicals but I know accidents happen and well.. from matt's post they are not the tingly fun kinds.

Dstar- are you saying NaOH doesnt have the same cleaner power as pbw? A little more digging suggests Tsp+oxcylean to be the recipe if I were looking to make a pbw clone.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Ridley Park, PA
Liked 56 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf View Post
Dstar- are you saying NaOH doesnt have the same cleaner power as pbw? A little more digging suggests Tsp+oxcylean to be the recipe if I were looking to make a pbw clone.
What I tried to say is that NaOH is more effective than PBW.

Barrel aged: Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy