Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > a few questions before I start my first brew....

Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #21
RMS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So then the one darn thing that's not in the directions is to MIX after top off holy cow......oh well.

Actually they are in a plastic tote with a good lid and its in my living room. If these things start going off and blow the lid off I am screwed.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #22
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IT is a well known problem with extract brews that they need a good mixing to get a good reading on the hydrometer. With that said, I weighed out a cup of sugar - it came in at 7 oz, so 3 cups is 21oz, or about 1.25 (given the vaguries of your measure and mine, I'll go with 1.25lb) I expect the same with DME for weight, this means that combined, you have about another 20 points to gravity (as I guessed before) or a little more. The 1.014 seems like a good FG, not to high.

Did you try the beer at bottling? Did it taste like flat beer? or flat sweet weak alcohol beer? IF it was the former, I'd not worry about bottle bombs, but if like the latter, there might have been more to ferment.

RMS Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #23
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
.....I weighed out a cup of sugar - it came in at 7 oz....
Thank you! I been working on a VB.net conversion program so this will come in very handy.

I did not notice a sweet taste, I did notice the bitter though!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Some caution on 1 cup=7 oz. That assumes that we are talking same cup - I wasn't trying to be particuarly acurate, but just for this, so I didn't do a pefect level 1 cup measure.

As long as we are talking 1 2 or maybe even 3 cups, the 7oz is probably close enough, but going for 10 cups I'd recommend getting a scale. Actually I recomend a scale anyway.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #25
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well guys according to my directions its says after (bottling) 2 days in a warm place next is 14 days in a cool place. So this being my day 2, the tote is now making its way down stairs and onto my cellar floor.

I will keep you posted because I have a feeling that an early taste test is coming in about a week from now. I am crossing my finger, that I will not get sick and that it will taste OK and Hope it has at least a 3.5%ABV

Old 11-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #26
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Moving carbonating beer to a cold place after only 2 days in awarm one isn't a very good idea. It takes at least 3 weeks for an average gravity beer at 70F to carb.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #27
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Moving carbonating beer to a cold place after only 2 days in awarm one isn't a very good idea. It takes at least 3 weeks for an average gravity beer at 70F to carb.
Just carried 24 of them back up stairs; Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #28
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

This time of year,I have sort of the same problem. My man cave is in front of the house with a southerly exposer. On the cool side,so great for fermenting. But I have to take the boxed bottled beers upstairs to the rather warm master bedroom to carb & condition. They sleep near me on my side of the room which is sort of a sitting room area. The bottles are room temp warm by fridge time. Can't wait for turkey day to try my 1st pm pale I did this way.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #29
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My cellar floor is about 63 degrees right now......so I got all 54 bottles in my living room off to one side and its been 11 days now but I will keep them their for the full 3 weeks.

What was your recipe you used for the pm pale?

Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #30
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Being my 1st partial mash,I used the midwest PM cascade pale ale kit. 5lbs of grains-4lb American 2 row,8oz carapils,& 8oz caramel 10L with 3.3lb Breisse gold LME.
I mashed the grains at 156F for 60 minutes in 1.5 gallons disstilled water. Sparged at 155F with another 1.5G of distilled water. Should've sparged at 165F. Used the resulting 3G of wort after hot break for hop additions,all cascade. 60 minutes,10 or 15,& 2. Re-hydrated US-05 at 72. Couldn't get it any lower wit the heat on. But the room was rather cool much of the time.
Wish I'd have brewed it a week or two sooner though. as of now,2 weeks & 1 day conditioning,5 days tommorow fridge time in time for thanksgiving. 3 or 4 weeks conditioning would've been more to my liking.