Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith pitfalls?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
sawbossFogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default BeerSmith pitfalls?

I'll peruse the threads, but specifically as a fairly novice builder in BeerSmith I'm looking to avoid any pitfalls that may not be obvious. I've had success building and implementing 2 recipes in BeerSmith, but it still seem a little to good to be true :-) Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
sroberts
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 23

When I was a rookie I used BeerSmith it to design a recipe, thinking that if I adjusted my grain bill and hop schedule to hit the same numbers as beers I loved, I'd have a good recipe. That was not true. I brewed a mediocre beer that appeared in BrewSmith to have the same scale values as great beers I've had. So I learned that it is a good calculator, and once I was proficient with my equipment and could predict water calculations, etc, I found I no longer needed it anyway.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Do some research on setting up the equipment profile right.
People Like This 
Old 10-31-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
sawbossFogg
Recipes 

I think the equipment and method profiling is the part I am most concerned with as the equipment options are limited. I've been brewing for about 20 years, calculated grains bills using simple methods as well as BeerSmith, but I feel like an experience like Roberts is looming because there are so many variables. Of course it is best to test ones Smith recipe against best judgement based on experience, and so far I've had success using BeerSmith and with the incredible accuracy and detail of data logging which really trumps my old log books, I don't think I'll outgrow it soon.
Seeking more BeerSmith watch-outs! Thanks.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 112

There's some good info on how to set up your Beersmith equipment profile here. It does lean toward BIAB brewing but the info is still helpful in general.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
Howling_Moon_Woffie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I know this is an old thread but I just got Brewsmith and have been trying to watch their vid's. Might there be something out there that you can hear and understand? :/

Old 08-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #7
sawbossFogg
Recipes 

Ive brewed about 40 batches now with BS. Overall its great, pitfalls I haven't really encountered unless you're inattentive to the equipment setup and/or blindly follow the water volumes.

The only thing I don't like about BS is not being able to add items to my inventory that it doesn't have as current options. This can be solved in recipes by adding something in its database and manually typing in desired information, but I have not been able to do this in the inventory.
People Like This 
Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2268 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 968

Agreed about the ingredients. I've found I have to go through and add a fair amount of stuff (say, Belgian candi syrups). But for what's in there already, it all seems to be pretty accurate.

I've noticed this one recently brewing a Milk Stout (and I recall other programs doing this too) - it doesn't calculate lactose as unfermentable, but rather seems to treat it like a simple sugar and 100% fermentable.

I use other calculators for mash water temps that have always worked for me. I've never really gone by the water volumes, or use the temps that BeerSmith gives me, but from my experience the strike water temp is always high and the sparge water volume is always low.
Casked: (nothing)
Bottle Cellar: Brett B Tripel, Brett C English Barleywine, Lamebic, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C Bitter, Wild Cider, Winter Warmer, Bourbon Barrel Sour Stout

Old 08-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 880 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I love using Beersmith.
I found it took a couple of brews to dial in the equipment profile. I still get some variance in my efficiency, but the beers have been great. You will need to learn what grains go together in what percentages as you can get something that looks good but will not be right by using too much crystal or smoked malt etc.

It is a great tool but it is still that, a tool. If you don't use it right you will not be satisfied with the results.
Oginme Likes This 
Old 08-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
sawbossFogg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
There's some good info on how to set up your Beersmith equipment profile here. It does lean toward BIAB brewing but the info is still helpful in general.
This is a helpful forum thanks.