Secondary Fermenter post infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromebrew

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had a pretty nasty infection in a glass carboy about 3 weeks ago. I have since scrubbed it very well, used some really hot water on it, and starsaned the heck out of it. I am hoping this would be sufficient to make sure there wont be any lingering bacteria in there. Ive heard once you use equipment for sour beers it should only be used for such batches going forward.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Is there any reason i should avoid using this same carboy for a new, clean beer?

Thanks again everyone!

I don't see any reason at all not to use it again if you've cleaned it well and sanitized it.

I've used equipment that had an infection in it before and had no problems. Hey it's not radio active material, nothing a little sanitizer won't get rid of. :)

go ahead and do it and that will be all the proof you need. there is a lot of worry about wild bugs and their persistence in a fermentor but at the homebrew level there is no reason your gear can't be bug free with good sanitation practice. at the commercial level you have much more surface area to deal with so it is conceivable that a spot could be missed and infections carried over. i think this fear tends to carry over into the homebrewing community and people think the worst when it comes to wild infections or even Brett, neither of which are impossible to clean off.

Thanks for the reassurance fellas. i will be filling it up tonight....with some hesitation :) unless someone posts on here after you guys and freaks me out.

If it were an old plastic bucket, I could understand the concern, but since its a glass carboy, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't keep using it. Maybe a glass carboy seller is spreading the rumor you heard :)

Back