Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > American Lager recipe

Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
naujpr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default American Lager recipe

Hi all. I am currently in my 4th batch and love this new world of home brewing. Cant wait to start my next batch.

However, while making the last recipe, an American Lager, I followed the instructions of a retailer to the letter. It states that the optimum fermentation for this beer is from 60-72 deg F. Now I may be a rookie, but that seems high compared to what Ive read on lagers. The yeast is Wyeast Pilsen Lager.

Would you think it is a typo on their part?

Im already on the lagering phase and would hate to wait that long just to get subpar beer.

Cheers!

Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 540 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 223

You are right, those are ale yeast temps. Here is the correct info for that yeast.

That is a tough style to do well. I fear your lager won't be as clean as you would want.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
naujpr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad
You are right, those are ale yeast temps. Here is the correct info for that yeast.

That is a tough style to do well. I fear your lager won't be as clean as you would want.
Oh well, guess ill leave it lagering for quite a while before bottling to see if it helps...

Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 199

I've actually heard of some folks fermenting lagers around 60F, 10F higher than usual, then performing a typical 3-6 week lager with no ill effect. If your process was sound, you might still have a nice beer. That said, I ferment my lagers between 50-52F for a couple weeks, do a 2 day diacetyl rest at 68F, then lager for a month or so in the keg.

Latest Article from Brulosophy: Sloppy Old Slurry Starter vs. Fresh Yeast | exBEERiment Results!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott