Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > A Russian Cider Maker looks for advice

Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidre View Post

I think Mike is trying to make very traditional and simple cider and in that regard when you make french cider you would make a racking after 5-7 days to remove some yeast cake and nutrition to the yeast e.g. nitrogen (and also place the cider rather cold) because you want the fermentation to go slow, as that will give you a cider that is more aromatic with a bit of sweet and more fruty/apple taste.
that's true, but i consider that a more advanced technique, especially if eventually trying to stall the fermentation and leave sugar. getting a strong healthy fermentation is an easier strategy for the beginner in my opinion.
cheers

Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Mike_Sautkin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
Don't have any cider input...
What part of Russia are you in Mike?
I live in Nizhny Novgorod (on Volga, 420 km to the East from Moscow).

As for backsweetening. In my town there`s a home brewer`s shop, where I can buy dextrose "Mr. Beer Booster". Can I use this stuff to make ciders sweeter and avoid new fermentation? Is it possible to use brown sugar or honey for backsweetening? Or they will be eaten up by the yeast?

As for sparkling ciders, is there any other ways exept of adding a bit sugar during the bottling?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Sautkin View Post
I live in Nizhny Novgorod (on Volga, 420 km to the East from Moscow).
Near Lake Ilmen, yes?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Sautkin

As for backsweetening. In my town there`s a home brewer`s shop, where I can buy dextrose "Mr. Beer Booster". Can I use this stuff to make ciders sweeter and avoid new fermentation? Is it possible to use brown sugar or honey for backsweetening? Or they will be eaten up by the yeast?
Dextrose, honey, brown sugar will all be eaten by yeast. For backsweeting you have a few options. Potassium sorbate will kill yeasts then u can rack off yeast and on to sugar. If your shop does not have it or if your like the op and can't get it, cold crash or pasteurize your cider to kill yeast then back sweeten.

If you Want to carbonate that's easy if you don't Want to bottle carb, use a keg!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Artifical sweeteners (Apsertaine/Equal, etc) will not be eaten by the yeast, nor will lactose- although wild yeast might eat that, lacto bacteria certianly will. So those can be used to sweeten, but each has its own aftertaste. I've heard that lactose tastes milky, so it probaby would clash with a cider.

I'd also be concerned with cold crashing not killing all the yeast. Pasturizing should (see link in prior post). Cold crashing with potassium sorbate and meta bisulfate should do the trickhowever, because any yeast that survies the crash should be inhibited by the sorbate and meta bisulfate.

As for clearing, a simple degassing of the cider should help, although using some bentonite (if the LHBS has it). Bentonite is a type of grey clay, mixing it in with the cider (or wine) gives the yeast something in suspenion briefly to settle on and become a larger clump and fall out of suspension in the cider. - larger being a relative term here. Either way, degassing can help as the CO2 will help keep the yeast clumps in suspension.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
Mike_Sautkin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
Near Lake Ilmen, yes?
No. Ilmen lies close to NOVGOROD. It`s in the North-West of Russia.
I live in Nizhny Novgorod. "Nizhny Novgorod" means "Down New City". You have to go a bit down the map to find it 8)

Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Thanks for the clarification, and good luck on yuor cider.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
bigego236
Recipes 

I read something about using prunes to stop fermentation. I think. Do a search about fruits used to stop fermentation.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #19
Mike_Sautkin
Recipes 

In the beginning I wrote about the trouble with clearing my cider. Well, I decided to restart fermentation by adding new pressed apple juice to dry cider (4 litres to 5 litres of cider). This worked well. The mixture started fermenting and gave much sediment in several days. In 2 weeks the mixture got fully clear.
How can I explain this process? I made the first cider using Munton`s beer brewing yeast (UK). It was dry, harsh and cloudy. After refermentation it became clear and more tasty. Why didn`t it clear during the first fermentation? What was missing? what was wrong? Did I put too much yeast?

Now I`ve still got a lot of this harsh and cloudy cider. I was given an advice to leave it in a cool place till May, so that it clears by itself. But will it improve the taste? I doubt it..

What shall I do? Leave it as it is? Or restart fermentation like I did? I`ve got no more apples (or I`ll have to buy it). The juice sold in a store may contain preservatives, which may kill the yeast. Can I use sugar instead of fresh juice? What kind of sugar?
And still I don`t know how to improve the taste of ready cider, if it tastes too sour.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #20
CodlingMoth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey mike you still dealing with your sour cider?