Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs

Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Jacob_Marley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Default Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs

I keep seeing CFLís (compact fluorescent bulbs) being rated for 10,000 to 12,000 hours ... no doubt under laboratory conditions.

What Iím finding is that Iím getting about only 20% to 30% of that number of hours out of the ones Iíve used ... across various brands and various sizes. Iíd estimate the average life Iím getting at about 1800 to 2500 hours.

Iím wondering what the difference is.
Peculiarities in the electrical supply in my house or in my area (ever heard of such a thing?)? .....
Bulbs sold locally flown in aboard a cargo plane full of rubber whoopi cushions out of Chungking?? .....

What sort of average life for CFLís would you estimate you are getting?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 435 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I switched all my lighting over to CFL a couple years ago and I haven't had to replace any of them yet. Well, that's not true. I had to replace one in the brewery a couple times because my brew partner kept running his fat head into it.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I purchased a bunch of CFLs 5 years ago and have moved them from apartment to apartment. The only ones I've had to replace are ones in the bathroom. I figure it either has to do with the humidity in there or the constant on/off a bathroom light experiences.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Are you running them on a rheostat (dimmer)? Even at full capacity (turned up all the way) the CFL's I had in the bathroom were humming. I removed the dimmer and put a straight switch, no more humming.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

One of the worst things to do with CFLs is to turn them off and back on again repeatedly. It's better to just leave them on if you're going to need light relatively soon. Many people are in the old-school habit of turning off lights when leaving a room for just a minute, and with CFLs this is a bad idea.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Most don't completely fail, but they take longer to get bright, and the total brightness diminishes, drives me crazy. I also think the hourly rating is continuous, they don't include the constant on/off that real bulbs go through that shorten their life.

I really wish that we skipped this whole CFL deal and went straight to LED, these CFL bulbs are bad in just about every way.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
IffyG
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
Are you running them on a rheostat (dimmer)? Even at full capacity (turned up all the way) the CFL's I had in the bathroom were humming. I removed the dimmer and put a straight switch, no more humming.

MC
They are on a standard switch. Considering I managed to get about 4 years out of them before any of the started to go, I'm more than OK with the lifespan.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
I switched all my lighting over to CFL a couple years ago and I haven't had to replace any of them yet. Well, that's not true. I had replace one in the brewery a couple times because my brew partner kept running his fat head into it.
Are you saying he smashed the bulb with his head? Those thing contain mercury vapour which is not very nice stuff and requires a thorough cleanup if they get broken. Google broken CFL and you will see...

Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
AMonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 17

We live in an older house and not all of the wiring has been updated. I have noticed that CFL's that are on the old wiring burn out faster than the others. But they still last a long time. Most in my house have not been changed since we moved in our house over 5 years ago, and some are used a lot.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
smooth
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My old compact fluorescent bulbs with the straight bulbs are really really old and I do not think I have replaced one yet.
The newer I have bought are the twisty ones, and I have replaced more than half of them already.
I have had two of the new twisty ones burn out with sparks and smoke.
I won't buy any more CFLs if I can help it.

I am also using two LED light bulbs now and they are okay, but weak.