Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > B. Nektar Zombie Killer Clone

Old 10-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
thasnazzle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
I just got done reading a ton of reviews on rate beer dot com. I think it would be good to age this on some light toasted French oak and the tart cherry juice to be added after fermentation & stabilizing. Just my 2c

Edit:

OK this thread has my head buzzin with ideas so thought I would share.

From B. Nektar site this is a 5.5% abv drink

So starting gravity of 1.04 & cold crash/stabalize as close to a gravity of 1.008 as possible then back sweeten with tart cherry juice to 1.02 & age for 1month on lightly toasted french oak cubes. ingrediants for 5 gallon would be as follows.

3 64oz bottles of Apple Cider
3lb of Star Thistle Honey, might need a little more to hit 1.04 gravity
Water to 5 gallon
2.5tsp yeast nutrient (SNA)
2.5tsp yeast energizer (SNA)

Stabalize with 5 camden tablets and 2.5tsp of potassium sorbate

Back sweeten to 1.02 gravity with Montmorencey Tart Cherry "Juice" not concentrate. Should take about 2 64oz bottles worth.

Age on 1oz light toasted frech oak 1 month.

Rack untill clear and force carb. DONE!

That sounds awesome!

I am going to try this recipe this weekend. I can't force carb, though - no kegging system. My plan was to backsweeten with more sugar than needed to prime it, then just wait until the bottles were carbed enough and pasteurize them. Any idea how I should calculate the amount of sugar I should be adding to backsweeten/prime?

Oh, and - what yeast? I currently have some beer yeasts (s-04, wy3711 saison, wlp400 wit, and some brett b) in the fridge. Should I be using those? Or should I go for a cider yeast? I haven't made cider in a while - last time I used s-04 and it turned out well.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 721

Definitely post back with results, finding the best clone possible for this would be awesome.

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Barracuda Barleywine
Primary : Cayo Hueso Cream Ale
Primary : Edicion Regionales ESB
On Tap : Equinox APA, Muddy Waters Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale
On Deck : Chocolate Wit, Black Caesar RIS

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
NelsonNelson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently made a cheap & easy attempt at a Zombie Killer clone myself;

5 gallons Natural Apple Juice (Kroger, Motts, whatever... just no preservatives)
3# Local Honey (B. Nektar mentions thistle, I just used what the farmer down the street had from his bee boxes)
16oz. tart cherry juice concentrate ('Fruit Fast' found in health section at Kroger)
WLP720 Sweet Mead/Wine yeast

I diluted honey with <1/2 gallon of apple juice and heated to 180F for 5-10 minutes. I guess a lot of guys dont worry about pasturizing the honey, I'll probably skip this step in the future. I added the rest of the apple juice and pitched yeast. Fermented 68F-70F until it was done. Racked onto 16oz of Tart Cherry Juice, slight activity in secondary. Racked one more time onto eisenglass and waited a month or two to clear out.

Results...DELICIOUS, but NOT CLONED
Not that I expected it to be, I was more or less trying to create something similar. Attenuation was higher than I expected. My attempt definitely finished drier than the real deal. I am going to attempt this same recipe with perhaps an ale yeast and see what I get. If that doesnt give me the correct amount of sweetness i'm going to experiment with more honey and/or cherry juice.

**Side note** I noticed the B. Nektar website lists the ABV at 5.5% yet the label reads 7%, Mine finsihed around 5.5%

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions or come up with anything close

^ BN ARMY
1st Michigan Division

Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

I too finished my first clone attempt. I used 6gal publix brand apple cider and Notty. Let it ferment dry then back-sweetened with organic tart cherry juice and honey to 1.020. After that I pasteurized all the bottles after they reached the carbonation I wanted. It came out really good and real close to a clone but not quite there. Next batch I'm going to back-sweeten to 1.030 using more honey and use US-04. I'll post back on how it goes.

On Tap : Equinox APA, Muddy Waters Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale

Old 04-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
JFK
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

subscribed. I actually earlier today before finding this thread wracked a batch of semisweet mead onto just under 16 ounces of Michigan tart cherry. I wish I had read this before I would have made it a cyser. I'm planning on aging it with American White Oak Spirals. I am defiantly going to help try to clone Zombie Killer with you guys now with my next batch.
Kegged - Godzilla IPA
On Deck - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Cream Soda for the wife n kids, German Style Pilsner with Michigan Hops,
Gone - to many to list.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
thasnazzle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't had a chance to do anything with this, JFK, but I'm curious as to how things turn out for you. Do keep us posted.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

So I've come up with something that tastes incredibly similar but its technically a cider not a cyser.
Ferment 6gal Publix brand Cider with Notty until dry and yeast flocs out. Backsweeten with 2lbs Orange Blossom honey and tart cherry juice. I added a cup at a time of the tart cherry juice until I felt it tasted right. IIRC it was about 1L total. Pasteurize after 3-4 days if you bottle. If you keg just make sure to keep the keg cold so fermentation doesn't kick back up.
I don't have any Zombie Killer to do a side by side taste test, but from what I remember the the finished product tastes very similar. Nice honey flavor balanced out by tart cherry.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
TMannion87
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

KeyWest, can you elaborate on your process for this? I just had Zombie Killer last night and was a big fan, but I've never really brewed a cider before. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMannion87
KeyWest, can you elaborate on your process for this? I just had Zombie Killer last night and was a big fan, but I've never really brewed a cider before. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Shoot me a PM with anything you want me to explain better for ya and I'll do my best to help.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #20
QuercusMax
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Could you post here as well? My wife loved this stuff when I found a bottle a couple months ago, and I'd love to make her a clone of this.

Thinking of using Trader Joe's cider with US05 as the base, then adding honey and TJ's tart cherry juice.

How well does the pasteurizing work? What time/temp do you use, and does it affect the flavor any?