Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator Build Igloo 4.6 FR465, Haier HNSE05, Kenmore 183.94679 and possibly others

Old 02-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #101
brewinginmaine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtires View Post
Cool would you mind taking some pics of your process and posting them to help others?
I just finished it up tonight and I will try and post some pics of the finished product when I load the first keg in later this week

Old 02-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #102
snowtires
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonboppre View Post
Snowtires, I am pretty convinced I converted the same fr465 as you yesterday with the thermostat to the left of the freezer. I am very pleased with how it turned out however I am having temp issues. Near the top of the fridge I am getting about 28 F and at the bottom 20 F. I do not have a fan installed yet but will look to add one soon. Did you have any issues with your igloo when you converted it? Seeing as I bought the fridge used I did not get the user manual with it can you tell which setting on the thermostat is coldest 1 or 7? Attached are some photos!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app
Hi. Awesome kegerator, yes that is the same and I'm glad it worked out. 1 is warm and 7 is cold. Yes mine is a lot warmer at the top then the bottom and I am about 37 at the bottom and 60 inside the tower and because of that I have to pour for 1 second stop for 1 second and pour the rest of my pint. I keep meaning to add a fan inside BT havnt gotten around to is. Someone in this thread put copper pipes up the tower with the lines inside kind of a passive cooling system, that could be an option as well. Cheers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Drinking: Beer from the store :(
Newsman Likes This 
Old 02-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #103
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 8374

Slight hijack here... but I purchased a 3.3 CF mini-fridge off Craigs List last week (didn't realize at the time it was that size, but hey... it was only $50. <grin>) I looked at it last night and it appears I will be able to fit one Corny keg in there with a 5# CO2 tank if I swing the freezer to the back and clear off the door. Hoping I can install my single-tap tower on there, but if not, I guess I can go through the door. This one is all-white.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #104
jasonboppre
Recipes 

Quote:
Hi. Awesome kegerator, yes that is the same and I'm glad it worked out. 1 is warm and 7 is cold. Yes mine is a lot warmer at the top then the bottom and I am about 37 at the bottom and 60 inside the tower and because of that I have to pour for 1 second stop for 1 second and pour the rest of my pint. I keep meaning to add a fan inside BT havnt gotten around to is. Someone in this thread put copper pipes up the tower with the lines inside kind of a passive cooling system, that could be an option as well. Cheers

What setting do you have your fridge set at? I set mine as warm as it goes (1) and I was about 36-38 F at the top and I have not got to checking the bottom yet. I am not happy with the temp, I would preffer my beer slightly warmer (above 40 F). To be honest I am a bit worried about my beer freezing because my fridge is just too cold.

I wonder if how I bent the freezer compartment has anything to do with the temperatures? If you notice I bent my freezer straight down and fastened it to the back wall with a plastic spacer in between it. You have bent yours down differently but managed to conect your probe somewhat to the freezer compartment.

I am curious to hear what setting you keep your fridge at? Your answer may lead me to explore an alternative position for the freezer unit. Cheers!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #105
snowtires
Recipes 

Move the temperature probe farther to a part of the freezer coil that gets colder. And make surr the prove metal is touching the metal of the freezer Mine is folded around the metal. I'f your freezer is getting too cold that's a problem that's easy to fix.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:20 AM   #106
jasonboppre
Recipes 

Quote:
Move the temperature probe farther to a part of the freezer coil that gets colder. And make surr the prove metal is touching the metal of the freezer Mine is folded around the metal. I'f your freezer is getting too cold that's a problem that's easy to fix.

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-19-2014, 01:28 AM   #107
snowtires
Recipes 

Oh and mines set about 3

Old 05-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #108
Genuine
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I had the same issues and it helped to move the probe as well as install a fan to recirculate the cold inside there

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 06-18-2014, 12:15 AM   #109
jamin7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Working on a similar project with a Kenmore 4.4 cu. ft. (Model #94293) I found on Craigslist.
Click image for larger version

Name:	kenmore44o.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	206282   Click image for larger version

Name:	kenmore44.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	206283  

Old 06-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #110
jamin7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First, flattened the freezer / chill plate down the back of the freezer. Seems to be working fine so far. A little worried about the temperature issues earlier in the thread but we'll see. The red is where I reattached the thermometer probe to the chill plate. The blue is where I repositioned the ceiling anchors to keep the chill plate stable & in place.

Then went at the door. The black plastic gasket is magnetic and sits really well into a ridge in the inner-door plastic so I didn't want to rip the whole thing out. I used a utility knife to slice through the extruding plastic & foam to end up with a flat door.

Came off nicely. Trimmed down the rough edges and the soda can dispenser bumps after this photo.

And this is where I'm at so far. I think I'm going to buy a sheet of HDPE or plexiglass to cover the door and to make it flat & better insulated.

Still not sure whether to put in a tower fan or do some kind of copper tubing system like Hovik. I think I read in another thread that the copper tubing only works so well and there is still a "first pour foam" problem.

Also, just going to run with the knob thermostat that came with the fridge as long as it works with the repositioned probe. Doing a temp test now so I guess I'll find out soon!

Edit: Fridge had no temp issues with repositioned plate. Before the spike is a glass of water freezing (~3hrs). After the spike is the "recommended setting" on the thermostat that ended up stabilizing around 34.5.

Newsman Likes This