Brewing with babies - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing with babies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
mdawson9
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 135
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Got your attention? My wife and I brought home kids 3 and 4 about 6 weeks ago. Trying to figure out how to keep the pipeline going with very limited time. I have adopted the no chill method (only waiting 4 hours or so and still use immersion chiller). My question is, can I steep the night before and do the boil in the morning.
That would help a lot. Any other ideas?
And I'm an all extract plus grains brewer.
Thanks !
__________________
__________________
RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Bottled: Beligan Trippel, Imperial IPA
Kegged: American Amber
Fermenting: Belgian Witbier
Lagering:
On Deck: Citra IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
beerman0001
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
virginia beach, virginia
Posts: 984
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts


Yes you can. No worries about the boogie man because it goes into the boil.
__________________
Fermenting.
On tap: World wide lager, Dopelbock, Apfelwein, American Wheat, DFH 90, Dortmunder export, Skeeterpee, Chinook/Citra ipa.
Waiting on a tap. Maibock, Two Hearted, Pliny the elder, Chimay White, Roggenbrier, DFH60
Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
dcarter
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Posts: 387
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


You should be fine steeping the night before. You only need to worry about infection after the boil.
__________________
Primary:Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Calder
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Ohio
Posts: 7,592
Liked 624 Times on 546 Posts


Bot so fast!

Grain has a lot of bacteria on it, and if you don't heat it up above a certain temperature (I'm not sure what it is) and kill the bacteria, the bacteria can go crazy in the nice warm incubator you have made for it, making lots of undesirable products; one that comes to mind is Lactbacilluis which is often used to sour beers like Berliner Weisse, and is one of the souring organisms in Lambics..

After steeping raise the temp until about to boil, cover and leave alone and you should be good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
mdawson9
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 135
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder
Bot so fast!

Grain has a lot of bacteria on it, and if you don't heat it up above a certain temperature (I'm not sure what it is) and kill the bacteria, the bacteria can go crazy in the nice warm incubator you have made for it, making lots of undesirable products; one that comes to mind is Lactbacilluis which is often used to sour beers like Berliner Weisse, and is one of the souring organisms in Lambics..

After steeping raise the temp until about to boil, cover and leave alone and you should be good.
I would do that but the first thing I will be doing in the morning is add water and boil. You are saying that this wouldn't kill the bad by products right?
__________________
__________________
RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Bottled: Beligan Trippel, Imperial IPA
Kegged: American Amber
Fermenting: Belgian Witbier
Lagering:
On Deck: Citra IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
billl
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,255
Liked 363 Times on 304 Posts


Alternatively, you can just toss the steeping grains in cold water in the morning. In the time it takes to go from room temp to 170 on the stove, you just steep away. Just pull them before you hit 170 and you are fine. You gotta bring the water up to temp anyway, so it doesn't add any time to you brewday.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
mdawson9
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 135
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by billl
Alternatively, you can just toss the steeping grains in cold water in the morning. In the time it takes to go from room temp to 170 on the stove, you just steep away. Just pull them before you hit 170 and you are fine. You gotta bring the water up to temp anyway, so it doesn't add any time to you brewday.
That's what I have been doing but I'm having issues with bland/lack of malt flavor. I was planning to really steep at 155 for a full 30 minutes and sparge to see if that helps.
__________________
__________________
RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Bottled: Beligan Trippel, Imperial IPA
Kegged: American Amber
Fermenting: Belgian Witbier
Lagering:
On Deck: Citra IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
dwarven_stout
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Boise, ID
Posts: 1,608
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts


Make sure you use a lot of rice hulls so the babies don't gum up the mash.
__________________
"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:59 AM   #9
Calder
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Ohio
Posts: 7,592
Liked 624 Times on 546 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawson9 View Post
I would do that but the first thing I will be doing in the morning is add water and boil. You are saying that this wouldn't kill the bad by products right?
If you don't raise the temperature after steeping, the lactobacillus will start creating lactic acid. Boiling will kill the Lactobacillus, but will not drive off any acid it may have created in the mean time. If you leave the wort overnight (between steeping and brewing) and don't kill the lactobacillus (and other bacteria), any by-products they create will become part of the final product.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
mdawson9
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 135
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder

If you don't raise the temperature after steeping, the lactobacillus will start creating lactic acid. Boiling will kill the Lactobacillus, but will not drive off any acid it may have created in the mean time. If you leave the wort overnight (between steeping and brewing) and don't kill the lactobacillus (and other bacteria), any by-products they create will become part of the final product.
Got it. Thanks! I raised the temp up to just under boiling (200 ish), turned the heat off and covered.
__________________
__________________
RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Bottled: Beligan Trippel, Imperial IPA
Kegged: American Amber
Fermenting: Belgian Witbier
Lagering:
On Deck: Citra IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my babies are growing up. tchuklobrau Hops Growing 12 07-14-2011 03:44 AM
Beer babies beerrun Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 01-17-2009 02:09 AM
The babies are here! Fingers Hops Growing 1 05-01-2008 02:39 AM
The Babies are Here! Gabe Hops Growing 4 03-31-2008 02:47 PM
Where do babies come from? Cheesefood Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 1 01-02-2007 02:09 AM


Forum Jump