Complete brewery in MI (CL ad) - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > Complete brewery in MI (CL ad)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mkringii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 436
iTrader: (3)
Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts


it is a sink hole thats why there selling it.. i know people have their own opinion about what beer they like.. but i have been there 5 times.. and drank there beer (free only way) at many local events and from the distributor on many many occasions.. and its still pretty terrible.. there's just something in the water.. lol.. they have one good beer and its the english ipa... as far as distribution.. you can only get it in 5 counties.. at less than 50 stores (i know because i know the owner of the company that distributes it) ad they are failing because the "owner" bought his "son" another "failing brewery" in grand rapids called the hideout... so they now own two breweries that have 3 beers between the two of them that are decent at best.. and location.. its in sparta.. 30 minutes from downtown in the middle of apple orchards.. if it was a winery or cider mill.. ok.. but its a half assed brewery.. their "kitchen" is a microwave.. 5 foot prep table.. fridge... and griddle.. its a glorified pull barn!

but other than that yea great deal...

oh yeah the "bottling" portion was purchased used and never works.. they were always out of stock to sell to the distributor because the bottler didnt work.. to go with the "artwork" of just the name and same logo in plain white 6 pack holders.. lol

better off starting from scratch..
__________________
Tap 1: Honey Brown
Tap 2: American Barleywine
Tap 3: BBA Vanilla Chocolate Milk Stout
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
bmason1623
 
bmason1623's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,838
iTrader: (2)
Liked 151 Times on 118 Posts


Do you know if the building/land is included? That price seems ridiculously high if real estate isn't included. The equipment seems average at best. No, I'm not interested but only curious.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
Zorin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Posts: 129
iTrader: (0)
Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mkringii
it is a sink hole thats why there selling it.. i know people have their own opinion about what beer they like.. but i have been there 5 times.. and drank there beer (free only way) at many local events and from the distributor on many many occasions.. and its still pretty terrible.. there's just something in the water.. lol.. they have one good beer and its the english ipa... as far as distribution.. you can only get it in 5 counties.. at less than 50 stores (i know because i know the owner of the company that distributes it) ad they are failing because the "owner" bought his "son" another "failing brewery" in grand rapids called the hideout... so they now own two breweries that have 3 beers between the two of them that are decent at best.. and location.. its in sparta.. 30 minutes from downtown in the middle of apple orchards.. if it was a winery or cider mill.. ok.. but its a half assed brewery.. their "kitchen" is a microwave.. 5 foot prep table.. fridge... and griddle.. its a glorified pull barn!

but other than that yea great deal...

oh yeah the "bottling" portion was purchased used and never works.. they were always out of stock to sell to the distributor because the bottler didnt work.. to go with the "artwork" of just the name and same logo in plain white 6 pack holders.. lol

better off starting from scratch..
I agree, if you go in without a game plan you are doomed to fail. It's all about location and marketing to what the masses like to drink. Even if the beer was crappy you can usually make up for that with the food, but a microwave kitchen is not going to cut it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
carltjones
 
carltjones's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


We stopped by on a slow Wednesday afternoon. I'm fairly sure the owner is retiring and it's not just a business decision. It's a simple operation and the beers were solid.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
Svenhook
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Grand Rapids, MI, MI
Posts: 86
iTrader: (1)

Great place. I love it there. No idea why they are selling it. Their beer has been popping up on more shelves in the area recently. Too bad. Hope whoever buys it keeps it running and selling atleast some of the same brews.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
dudius
 
dudius's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 524
iTrader: (0)
Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts


I've never been there yet, I've never stopped in Sparta though I go to Grand Rapids quite often. My parents have been there and enjoyed the beer and spirits, but my dad pointed out that they have more of a cafeteria than a kitchen. I think if it were in a better location it would make for a decent brewpub. But my idea is that anyone who isn't already close to it wouldn't stop in Sparta while traveling. I think Founder's is less than half an hour's drive and there are several other brewpubs in Grand Rapids. I would think one's best hopes for growth in Sparta would be to up production on beer and spirits and distribute it across the state.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #17
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Helly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Ravenna, Mi
Posts: 1,476
iTrader: (4)
Liked 206 Times on 172 Posts


We just went Friday. My wife and I talked about it and came to some of the same conclusions. While i really like a couple of their beers, others are just so-so. The building and location leave a lot to be desired. There is no kitchen really. Someone with a vision could take this somewhere but it's not a turnkey slam dunk as the ad states. I haven't seen the brewery end or the equipment but my impression is it's low volume. I hope it stays open with a new owner though because this is like 15 minutes from our house.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
Effingbeer
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Posts: 246
iTrader: (0)
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts


Thing is, if every beer they made won a gold medal at GABF, I still can't think of a good reason to go to Sparta.

dudius Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
tszetela
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
tszetela's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Just outside of Ann Arbor!, Michigan
Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Effingbeer View Post
Thing is, if every beer they made won a gold medal at GABF, I still can't think of a good reason to go to Sparta.
How about the chance to front kick someone in the chest who orders a MichUltra while yelling "THIS IS SPARTA!!

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
crosamich
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 80
iTrader: (1)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin

I agree, if you go in without a game plan you are doomed to fail. It's all about location and marketing to what the masses like to drink. Even if the beer was crappy you can usually make up for that with the food, but a microwave kitchen is not going to cut it.
Hill Farmstead might disagree re: location. However, that is where the marketing comes in...built upon a base of good beer, of course.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complete Brewery Equipment BassettWrangler For Sale 25 12-22-2012 12:41 AM
New Brewery Build is Complete jermanimal Brew Stands 22 09-02-2011 04:18 PM
Complete Coopers Brewery IPA Beer Kit C-Rider Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 04-03-2011 03:32 AM
Complete 10-Gallon Brewery in NC halucin8 For Sale 9 03-29-2010 02:38 AM


Forum Jump