Bizarre Gravity readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nscheck

Reaction score
So after brewing the AHS Holiday Chocolate Stout extract kit and adding the "alcohol boost" pack of sugar, I repeatedly got an OG reading of 1.070. This is even after a day of letting it sit.

I pitched a yeast starter and it fermented for awhile. I took two FG readings, 5 days apart, and got a FG of 1.022 both times.

Both these numbers seem very high.
Any suggestions?

1.07 to 1.022 is just under 68% apparent attenuation and a 6.3%ABV. For a chocolate stout it might be pretty much what they were shooting for. Does the kit say what FG it is targeting?

Search on here for 1.020 extract or something like that and you'll find a lot of extract recipes seem to get stuck around 1.020.

Target OG/FG was 1.050/1.016. Fermentation temp was controlled at 61-65 F.
Also, this was the first time I made a yeast starter for a White Labs WLP011.
I won't be able to bottle it for two more weeks (it has been in primary for two already). Should I put it in a secondary to let it settle a bit?

Thanks for the help.

as long as you got all the extract in there and had the total colume right you probably really had 1.05 OG, not 1.07. Likely the wort was not completely mixed. It is very difficult to get it mixed all the way. It doesn't really matter though as it will mix plenty while fermenting.

The 1.022 is a bit high for that though not totally outrageous. I suspect the yeast dropped out a little early. I recommend getting it a little warmer like 70F and give it a little shake to help wake up the yeast. Picking up and putting down the carboy should be plenty. Then give it another week and see if you have any change.

anyhow.. that is what I would do.

No,just leave it in primary. Swirl up some yeast off the bottom,& warm it up a couple degrees. Given a couple days,it should start knoeckin off those last couple points. Worked for me before.

Back