National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just finished first bottling

Old 10-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
JohnK93
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Just finished first bottling

I just finished my first bottling (a Scottish ale), and other than shooting a stream of SanStar over my laptop (it's a small miracle that it survived with only a few splashes on the screen...those siphons are unpredictable!), I think it went really well. The one thing I know to do next time is to put the priming sugar into the bottling bucket and then siphon the beer. I poured the sugar mixture into the beer, gently mixed, then siphoned into the bottling bucket...not that big of a mistake.

I also had a little trouble getting the bottling siphon going. I transferred to the bottling bucket using an auto-sihpon but used the old suck-and-pinch method to get the filling wand started. The first couple of bottles received an extra dose of oxygen, but from there on out it was all beer.

I also snuck a taste of my second batch, a hefeweizen, which has been in the primary for 7 days. It tastes like a hefeweizen! Gravity has dropped from 1.048 to about 1.012, so I think it's almost done. Planning on leaving it in the primary for another 2 weeks before bottling.

Can't wait to taste these when they're beer!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
KurtisCummings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats and welcome to home brewing! It's important to "sneak" tastes from your batches. It's the only way you will ever figure this hobby out.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2668 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1904

Those autosiphons are a pain to get the tube full of beer instead of bubbles. That's why I have spigots on my fermenters. A short length of tubing to let it flow around the bottom of the bottling bucket & no worries. And why doesn't your bottling bucket have a spigot on it? They usually always do to connect the bottling wand to.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
JohnK93
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, it's not actually a bottling bucket. It's really just an extra pail that I have, but I wanted to transfer out of the primary fermenter into a clean bucket so I wouldn't have to worry about sucking up anything from the primary and could focus on the bottling (even though I did have a straining bag over the end of the siphon). Maybe a true bottling bucket is in my future.