Hurricane Sandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So more ya think? Looking out at the patio furniture, theres at least 6 inches on the table. Maybe not 6 everywhere, but average 6 on SI.

Airborneguy said:
6 inches? I know my wife probably is no longer good at estimating inches

man: "Hon, there's a foot of snow outside!"

woman: "Oh that's more like 4-6 inches"

man: "Depends on how you hold the ruler"

Well abg uses a ruler with the first four inches cut off. So when he says hes got 6 inches, hes not necessarily lying.

shroomzofdoom said:
Do linemen normally have to sleep in tents/cots when they travel? http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/4k_utlility_workers_from_acros.html

This kinda pisses me off. 12 hours in the freezing cold: thanks, here's your tent, 4000 smelly dudes, and your box lunch soldier. I guess it's still a state of emergency but I figured we'd put them in motels at least? Perhaps trot out all the available virgins that our city has to offer? Feed them steak once a week. I hope the pay is worth it; if not then hopefully a huge THANK YOU! will suffice. Inglorious work you guys are doing, thank you for helping us.

16 hr work days....minimum

shroomzofdoom said:
So, coupla things. Anytime the proverbial stuff hits the fan in NJ and you need gas--head down the NJ Turnpike AWAY from NY and the Parkway. I have friends who work for Rutgers and they need to be at work during crappy weather. The Turnpike gas stations around 8A (both NB and SB) are on 24/7, stocked with fuel multiple times a day and are run on diesel gen backup. They NEVER run out of fuel and saved me this week. Sorry I couldn't offer this up earlier but things have been...you know...crazy!

Also, anyone who's heard the stories about the unions strong arming nonunion crews from out of state...sorry it's true. Except, the towns didn't turn them away. The Locals (that's what we call the mafia here lol) get a perverse thrill out of forcing others to pay their dues especially when the crew originates from a Right to Work state. When the union realized they had a PR nightmare on their hands, they walked it back a bit. Read the union contract here and tell me if YOU would sign this to drive hours away, sleep in a tent, and be away from your family for a month. All things being considered I think they linemen are doing a great job and it really irks me when I hear people complaining when they see these guys eating or catching a snooze. They are doing dangerous work in crappy conditions, please show some appreciation!

We fared well from the storm in Piscataway, no flooding in my house but the winds hit 82 in my town and the treefall was devastating. Almost everyone in the state suffered massive power outages. By Wednesday the gravity of the situation set in for most: it was dark and we were on our own for a few days. I was only without power/internet/cel for five days; having a generator and fireplace made it tolerable. My brother, sister, and mother are still on generator power tonight. A looter attempted to blind my brother’s security cameras with spray paint but he successfully defended his home and family. Thankfully, all of my friends and family are warm and safe through a combination of advance preparations and the generosity of others. Advance prep made the difference. I took time to clean gutters, extend downspouts, move items inside, and check the gen and sump pump. For me it was more a wind event than a rain event, my two 50 year old pin oaks took a beating but are still standing! My sump never even turned on, not even once.

The fuel lines were really bad but those have mostly subsided. New Jerseyans--for all their perceived lack of patience--really stepped up this week and demonstrated humanity that I never thought possible. You still won’t find this patience on our roads though. ;-)

Sandy pretty much hit the pause button on life for a full week. My thoughts are with those that lost loved ones and homes, or who are cold tonight. Many weren’t as fortunate as we were. Boardwalks are gone from Atlantic City, Seaside Heights, and Point Pleasant. Many homes were pushed off of their foundations. My High School remains buried in 6 feet of sand. It’s below freezing at night and lots of homes in my town are still without power. It will take months or years for things to return to normal around here.

If you don’t have a generator, I strongly encourage getting one along with a few gas cans. Even if you’ve prepared, it’s likely your neighbor didn’t/couldn't. It’s very hard to tell an elderly couple or a family with kids that they can’t plug in or that you have to turn the generator off to conserve fuel. When I realized that others had come to rely on my generator and the temps dropped to 30 at night, I improvised a fuel storage solution and was able to provide comfort for others. This really put it all in perspective for me. I used two 15G blue HDPE extract barrels, bought gas on 8A SB in about 20 odd sized gas containers that I borrowed from folks, then dumped them into the barrels and hit the stop at 8A NB on the way home. This allowed me to store about 46 gallons which ran my gen and my neighbors for 48 hours. Sadly, they'll never make beer again but they have MVP status IMO.

I am really glad that I work for Cisco. I WFH full time and it allowed me to be closer to my family in the final hours and to have more time to prepare. I'm handling some very large projects and my boss told me to take as much time as I need and take care of my family. Some of my friends were forced to commute and spent precious hours on trains or in lines getting to loved ones. They missed getting the basics and had a tough time.

This was the most surreal experience I’ve ever been through. I've been in hurricanes before in North Carolina and watched 15 feet of snow fall in two days in the Sierra. I've never seen this kind of devastation It renewed my faith in humanity and put quite a few things in perspective. I will certainly never take a gallon of gas for granted and will have lots of gas cans for next time!

Today, I have much to be thankful for and I’m glad to be back at work!

Now that we are in NJ they are definitely keeping us out of site so the union's do.t see us...we're even traveling back to the pocono's at night to sleep! A lot of that may be due to the lack of rooms but they aren't hiding the fact that we need to stay clear of union crews. We don't care either way as we have a job to do and we will do it. The thing is, these power companies and a lot of the local contractors don't seem to be in any hurry to restore anything....they're getting double time and its great money before Christmas! We enjoy the money too but we also want to get home...to do that we need to get the lights on! I have never worked on a storm so unorganized....I apologize to those of you who are still without power and wish there was more I could do.

2BeerSpeer said:
Now that we are in NJ they are definitely keeping us out of site so the union's do.t see us...we're even traveling back to the pocono's at night to sleep! A lot of that may be due to the lack of rooms but they aren't hiding the fact that we need to stay clear of union crews. We don't care either way as we have a job to do and we will do it. The thing is, these power companies and a lot of the local contractors don't seem to be in any hurry to restore anything....they're getting double time and its great money before Christmas! We enjoy the money too but we also want to get home...to do that we need to get the lights on! I have never worked on a storm so unorganized....I apologize to those of you who are still without power and wish there was more I could do.

You would think that something like this would bring out the best in most people...I understand that some unions limit how much you are allowed to work in a given day, but what is the deal? I never understood the whole union/nonunion issue because I have always worked jobs that weren't unionized.

We're getting 16-18 hours a day...that's not the problem...it's the time management and utilization of help by the power company that is the problem!

I'm in a rush to leave for work, but I wanted to say thank you for the three packages I received today. I'm pretty sure they are all from this community. The contents will be in the right hands as soon as I finish work Saturday morning.

:mug:

To those who sent me clothes: unfortunately I struck out with one charity today on the clothes. Apparently they are inundated. I'm working to find another. Worst case, my friend is working with a charity that is going to start taking clothing next week sometime.

Thanks again guys! I owe you beers!!

Did one of them come in a cereal killer box? They were just taking up room in my attic anyway. Hopefully someone will get some use out of them, but either way. Hope things are getting better out there for you guys.

Yup, your's came. Thanks again! Everything will find someone, I'm just going to have to find a group taking clothing. I just got back from dropping off the cleaning supplies and then helping bring a truck load of building material to a woman's home. I'm done, been up since 6pm last night.

Is there anything that is currently needed in a bad way? If you know of anything that is really needed could you post a list? I would be happy to get some stuff together and send out but don't want to send a bunch of random crap that is not not needed. Or is it better just to give money to the red cross?

The big thing right now is cleaning supplies, but now that I've worked with them, I'd recommend donations directly to this organization instead:

http://www.tunneltotowersrun.org/

Today they sent out multiple teams to clean homes and cook food, unloaded truckloads of donations, and I personally helped deliver a load of building supplies to the home of a woman that was wiped out. My first partner is heavily involved with this organization, particularly in regards to coordinating work parties. They are the first organization I've seen or dealt with that I feel totally comfortable recommending for donations. Anything that I receive (and certainly all of my volunteering) will be given to them anyway.

BTW, I'm seriously going to have to kick a few babies to make up for this stuff I've been doing, it's hurting the reputation I've fought so hard to build over the years. People are saying things to me lately that I don't know how to respond to. ;) (The second part is actually true. It's uncomfortable!)

The big thing right now is cleaning supplies, but now that I've worked with them, I'd recommend donations directly to this organization instead:

http://www.tunneltotowersrun.org/

Today they sent out multiple teams to clean homes and cook food, unloaded truckloads of donations, and I personally helped deliver a load of building supplies to the home of a woman that was wiped out. My first partner is heavily involved with this organization, particularly in regards to coordinating work parties. They are the first organization I've seen or dealt with that I feel totally comfortable recommending for donations. Anything that I receive (and certainly all of my volunteering) will be given to them anyway.

Thanks for the info! I'll take a look at them and see what I can do.

Airborneguy said:
BTW, I'm seriously going to have to kick a few babies to make up for this stuff I've been doing, it's hurting the reputation I've fought so hard to build over the years. People are saying things to me lately that I don't know how to respond to. ;) (The second part is actually true. It's uncomfortable!)

It's ok, we know you're still an ass. Just suck it up while you can you little do-gooder. ;)

Hey Gang,

I just dug around and found this thread. My wife and I live in Rockaway Beach and stayed put the night of Sandy. We boarded up the house and cleaned up the yard, but didn't think to do much else. I kegged my 2-Can pilsner on the 28th, that was the biggest thing. 8 pm on the 29th and the basement starts taking on water. I am standing in a puddle of water and notice water running out of my electric panel and I quickly kill all the breakers. I was hustling boxes upstairs until I was waist deep in sewage and salt water. I had made a trip outside in knee deep water to get respirators it of the garage when I heard the neighbor screaming for her husband. He was outside (safe) on a mission like mine. I could see the water pouring into a large hole in their foundation. It looked like a waterfall. They and their two dogs evac'd to my house. I looked to the west when I saw a transformer blow and could see the sky was red. I knew it was fire and it was big. Very freaky.
While I was trying to save all the memories and clothing, I cut the gas lines on my keg system, pulled theout of my fridge and hustled them up stairs. I had the 2-can pilsner and the white house honey porter. I apologized to my wife for not getting more essential stuff. She was kinda cool with it. I would grab a box or bag and run it to the top of the basement steps and shove it into the kitchen. I had myself walled in a few times by the stuff. At some point she forbid me to go back down ,probably a smart idea. The water started rising really fast once it stated coming in the windows... I shut off the water and the natural gas and called it a night.

We did start moving everything up to the second floor. We only had our furniture and dishes and such. I have no idea what time any of it was except that it started at 8. We kind of relaxed In the unfinished bedroom with our neighbors. I fixed up the CO2 lines on my kegs and sampled my brews. The neighbors are older and on various mess that forbid the drink. So it was just me. The pilsner I had made before, and it works out alright for me and my extract brewing habit. The porter never tasted quit right to me, could be my method, not sure. In between cups, I would go downstairs to check the water level. It wade it a step and a half from the top of the basement stairs. When I later got back into the basement it was just 3" shy of the ceiling tiles.

I was awake early looking to see what the morning tide would bring, but there were only stunned neighbors walking about. There was all sorts of debris all over the street. There were chunks of boardwalk all the way down by bay which is 3-4 blocks away from the beach. I didn't walk the few blocks up to the beach for three days to see the devastation, I was to busy trying to pump out my basement and get the water and gas back on. I saw a friend on the next block and he had 5' of water in his first floor. It was shocking to see everything.
In the coming days and weeks, as al the neighbors cleaned out their houses and worked their finger to the bones, I made my kegs available to any thirst worker. I had the kegs on the muddy floor of my garage at this point. There is a picture of a group of us covered in filth enjoying Homebrew in front of the garage. I have to find it and post it up for y'all.
My block was tight. Everybody helped everybody and it was great. People were coming by from all over with food and supplies. It's been nuts. I was farkin lucky as hell. My wife and our cats and our neighbors are ok. Some of their homes aren't so good, but they are hanging in. We got electric going on thanksgiving morning, but still don't have heat. That is mostly because of the oil heat to gas conversion and the shortage of boilers.

I hope everybody is getting back on their feet. We are getting there bit by bit, but if I don't keep busy I might start to cry again. And my kegs are empty. And my brewery was under water. All the folks seemed to enjoy the beer though.

Sorry about the ramble.

Hey Gang,

I just dug around and found this thread. My wife and I live in Rockaway Beach and stayed put the night of Sandy. We boarded up the house and cleaned up the yard, but didn't think to do much else. I kegged my 2-Can pilsner on the 28th, that was the biggest thing. 8 pm on the 29th and the basement starts taking on water. I am standing in a puddle of water and notice water running out of my electric panel and I quickly kill all the breakers. I was hustling boxes upstairs until I was waist deep in sewage and salt water. I had made a trip outside in knee deep water to get respirators it of the garage when I heard the neighbor screaming for her husband. He was outside (safe) on a mission like mine. I could see the water pouring into a large hole in their foundation. It looked like a waterfall. They and their two dogs evac'd to my house. I looked to the west when I saw a transformer blow and could see the sky was red. I knew it was fire and it was big. Very freaky.
While I was trying to save all the memories and clothing, I cut the gas lines on my keg system, pulled theout of my fridge and hustled them up stairs. I had the 2-can pilsner and the white house honey porter. I apologized to my wife for not getting more essential stuff. She was kinda cool with it. I would grab a box or bag and run it to the top of the basement steps and shove it into the kitchen. I had myself walled in a few times by the stuff. At some point she forbid me to go back down ,probably a smart idea. The water started rising really fast once it stated coming in the windows... I shut off the water and the natural gas and called it a night.

We did start moving everything up to the second floor. We only had our furniture and dishes and such. I have no idea what time any of it was except that it started at 8. We kind of relaxed In the unfinished bedroom with our neighbors. I fixed up the CO2 lines on my kegs and sampled my brews. The neighbors are older and on various mess that forbid the drink. So it was just me. The pilsner I had made before, and it works out alright for me and my extract brewing habit. The porter never tasted quit right to me, could be my method, not sure. In between cups, I would go downstairs to check the water level. It wade it a step and a half from the top of the basement stairs. When I later got back into the basement it was just 3" shy of the ceiling tiles.

I was awake early looking to see what the morning tide would bring, but there were only stunned neighbors walking about. There was all sorts of debris all over the street. There were chunks of boardwalk all the way down by bay which is 3-4 blocks away from the beach. I didn't walk the few blocks up to the beach for three days to see the devastation, I was to busy trying to pump out my basement and get the water and gas back on. I saw a friend on the next block and he had 5' of water in his first floor. It was shocking to see everything.
In the coming days and weeks, as al the neighbors cleaned out their houses and worked their finger to the bones, I made my kegs available to any thirst worker. I had the kegs on the muddy floor of my garage at this point. There is a picture of a group of us covered in filth enjoying Homebrew in front of the garage. I have to find it and post it up for y'all.
My block was tight. Everybody helped everybody and it was great. People were coming by from all over with food and supplies. It's been nuts. I was farkin lucky as hell. My wife and our cats and our neighbors are ok. Some of their homes aren't so good, but they are hanging in. We got electric going on thanksgiving morning, but still don't have heat. That is mostly because of the oil heat to gas conversion and the shortage of boilers.

I hope everybody is getting back on their feet. We are getting there bit by bit, but if I don't keep busy I might start to cry again. And my kegs are empty. And my brewery was under water. All the folks seemed to enjoy the beer though.

Sorry about the ramble.

Ramble on...I am sure it helps. My family is also in Rockaway. I grew up and lived there until I made the move out west 14 years ago. My parents house and block were pretty lucky over all considering some of my friends on SFP and Breezy are w/o homes. My sister that Rogers is going to have a Hurricane Donna party. She also said that the dollar store on 116 is gouging the $$$ out of people.
Pm me your address and I will send you some Colorado beers to tide you over.

image-2611089270.jpg

Here is the picture of a few of my neighbors and I enjoying kegged Homebrew on the second weekend after Sandy. The woman on the right is NYPD and the fella in front of her is FDNY. The rest of us a just folks. I'm the short fella in the middle. I wish the kegs were in the photo. They ended up in the garage to try and keep them refrigerated... Which worked out pretty well. We all worked like dogs from early other morning until dark.At a certain point in the afternoon, it was deemed Beer:30 and work was paused here and there for a beverage. Most days, somebody was grilling dogs and burgers and feeding anybody within hearing. I was happy to provide my brews.

Anyhow, I hope everyone affected is holding it together.

Latest posts

Back