Movember 'stache - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Movember 'stache

Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

Any fellas out there who don't normally have a 'stache growing one for testicular cancer awareness month? I want to see before and progress pics of those sexy 'staches from every dude who wants to help save his nads. Due to my being in the military I won't be able to do anything super interesting, but I'm going to grow one to show my support. I'll probably end up looking like a pedophile, but whatever. Small price to pay to save my family jewels. Here's my before pic:

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

lex990 Likes This 
Old 10-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

May 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Liked 314 Times on 207 Posts

unfortunately I have to wear a respirator at work some days so I am unable to grow facial hair or I would do it. my boss told me I could grow it as long as I don't mind inhaling ebola, hiv, mad cow, etc.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie View Post
unfortunately I have to wear a respirator at work some days so I am unable to grow facial hair or I would do it. my boss told me I could grow it as long as I don't mind inhaling ebola, hiv, mad cow, etc.
I understand rules are rules, but that's horse ****. Underway on a submarine we buy no shave chits and grow gloriously full beards. When we run fire drills we have to put on full face respirators and I never had a problem getting a good seal even with a month's growth. Anyway, that sucks that you can't grow your 'stache. I'll allow you to live vicariously through me, haha.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2011
Overland Park, KS
Liked 127 Times on 100 Posts

The only one you can't really get away with is the Hitler. He ruined that mustache for everyone.

If I was you I'd just grow out a big furry walrus stache. It'll look awesome. The only thing that would look creepy IMO is some kind of pencil stache.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
lex990

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Sparta, MO
Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
I understand rules are rules, but that's horse ****. Underway on a submarine we buy no shave chits and grow gloriously full beards. When we run fire drills we have to put on full face respirators and I never had a problem getting a good seal even with a month's growth. Anyway, that sucks that you can't grow your 'stache. I'll allow you to live vicariously through me, haha.
facial hair will cause you to fail an n95 test fit every time. I can't wear our tb masks in the hospital because of mine. I get a great seal for dust and such but when they spray the fine particulate mist that has a tracer taste, I get it every time through mine. although a mustache shouldn't affect this as much as a beard or large goat. i do full beard for no shave November then stache it out the final days

Old 10-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex990 View Post
facial hair will cause you to fail an n95 test fit every time.
I've never heard of this test. The only test I've ever done for a respirator (forced air) is to disconnect the air and try to breath. Can't get any air? Good to go and hook the air back up.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7845 Times on 5497 Posts

Quote:
I've never heard of this test. The only test I've ever done for a respirator (forced air) is to disconnect the air and try to breath. Can't get any air? Good to go and hook the air back up.
We have to do the N95 fit test in hospitals. They suck, as they are hot and I swear you can't breathe with the darn thing on, but we get a new fit test and a new mask every year.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
jeepinjeepin

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Liked 1046 Times on 1025 Posts

I normally keep some facial hair. I don't know how long SWMBO will let this go. I'm hoping to keep from trimming it until after a race in March. I don't normally have any sort of mustache. Y'all can count that towards Movember.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-780066968.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	81157  

Old 10-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Oakland, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yah a bunch of us at work are doing this and fundraising. I've never grown a stache before, but have extremely fast and thick stubble when I skip a day of shaving (I get jokes about my 10 am shadow when I do shave)... I have no idea how to groom a stache... should be interesting.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Liked 534 Times on 339 Posts

Quote:
Until 1987, Submariners could grow beards year round, you had to keep it trimme and prove you could get a good seal on your EAB. After '87, we could get no shave chits while at sea but could only have a 'stache on land.

That's me in my avatar although now that we are closer to winter my beard and hair are much fuller.
SSBN 641 B