I'm a 21st century digital boy... - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I'm a 21st century digital boy...

Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Livermore, CA
Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts

My compromise is to get a smart phone but no data plan. Save $$$ and not be one of those that checks their phone multiple times while dining out, works on WiFi at home and work.

However you just spend time staring at others checking their phone sometimes...

Old 10-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
brazedowl
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Liked 41 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpentGrains View Post
My compromise is to get a smart phone but no data plan. Save $$$ and not be one of those that checks their phone multiple times while dining out, works on WiFi at home and work.

However you just spend time staring at others checking their phone sometimes...
I tried that route but to activate the phone to act like just a phone the required the data plan.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Liked 314 Times on 223 Posts

I am glad and surprised that most people seemed to get the bad religion reference!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok
I am glad and surprised that most people seemed to get the bad religion reference!
Oh well yeah, that went without saying

Old 10-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5012 Times on 3383 Posts

I use a Milestone X2. Not great by today's standards, but still working fine. My wife got the older Milestone and is wanting an iPhone like my daughters.

When the wife got hers it didn't take long before she was on FB constantly. One time we went to dinner and before the appetizers came out she was on her phone. I was all like, "REALLY?"

I thought going out to dinner was for getting away from the house and having some quality time. See, my phone JUST beeped to tell me that I have an email or event notification. But I'm not in a hurry to look at it. Oh ok, it might be important...

Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7677 Times on 6273 Posts

We recently upgraded to a smartphone.

Smart compared to the basic flip-phone we had before.

This one has a keyboard! Opted for that to make texting easier for my with her family overseas.

2 days after we got the phones, our pre-paid service stopped supporting international texting.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Kokomo, IN
Liked 440 Times on 303 Posts

I'm one of the few from my generation that refuses to get a cell phone. If I'm not home, leave a message and I'll call you back. I used to have to carry one for work and that thing drove me nuts 24/7. I just don't buy into the whole instant gratification thing.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7677 Times on 6273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
I'm one of the few from my generation that refuses to get a cell phone. If I'm not home, leave a message and I'll call you back. I used to have to carry one for work and that thing drove me nuts 24/7. I just don't buy into the whole instant gratification thing.
Nor do I. We got ours when my wife was about 2 months away from delivering our first child. I think I have given my number to 3 or 4 people.

It is nice to have available internet for the occasion when you need to look up a number or an address.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
I just don't get the whole resistance to cell phones. Yes, they can be annoying at times, but when the **** hits the fan and you don't have one, you'll be wishing you did. As long you keep your contacts down to a select few it shouldn't be that annoying. You can really cut down on the annoying factor by not having your e-mail tied to your phone and eliminating your social networking from your phone.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter