Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > need help wiring controller

Old 10-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
dogwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default need help wiring controller

i am plannig on doing both gas and electric brewing on my mlt and i am not sure on how to wire up my pid ssr to the gas solenoid and the heating element but this is what i came up with.i know i need to add fuses not sure where or what amp if anybody could check for me . sorry about the drawing i know it sucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mlt wiring.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	81115  

Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Whoa!!! Where is your 12VDC Power Supply? If your pulling 110 from the wall you need a transformer to lower it to 12 volts for the gas solenoid. Your current setup will blow up the solenoid as sure as you plug it in. Take a bit more time and think about each circuit and draw them individually, this will help insure you don't make mistakes like you have drawn here.
Wheelchair Bob
PS- I just reread this and did not mean for it to sound candascending, please ask if you need help there are many very accomplished electrical folks who will be glad to help you and not let you waste money or get hurt.
Bob

Reason: Clarify answer.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
grandequeso
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

that is some funny stuff there. I had to look at it three times, couldn't stop laughing.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
dogwolf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default thanks for insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
Whoa!!! Where is your 12VDC Power Supply? If your pulling 110 from the wall you need a transformer to lower it to 12 volts for the gas solenoid. Your current setup will blow up the solenoid as sure as you plug it in. Take a bit more time and think about each circuit and draw them individually, this will help insure you don't make mistakes like you have drawn here.
Wheelchair Bob
PS- I just reread this and did not mean for it to sound candascending, please ask if you need help there are many very accomplished electrical folks who will be glad to help you and not let you waste money or get hurt.
Bob
hey this is why we post. if i use a 110vac solenoid that would do it for that right. but how about some fuses any thought on that. by the way bob you did not sound candasending just worried. since i dont have any electrical knowlege any and all help is taken with appreciation.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
dogwolf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandequeso View Post
that is some funny stuff there. I had to look at it three times, couldn't stop laughing.
glad your being so helpfull

Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1903 Times on 1485 Posts

If you could write up exactly how you want the pump, heating element, and gas valve to behave when you flip the toggle switch to "on", I'm sure we can draw you up a wiring diagram. Also, list the operating voltages for the three devices. I'm fairly confident the pump is 110vac, but the control voltage for the SSR isn't obvious, and neither are the power and control for the gas valve.

Btw, forget the word "fuse" for now, because you're a long way from worrying about those. The word you probably want to keep in your head is "relay", because I'm pretty sure you're going to need one or two to make this work, and you may need a DC power supply as well...

Cheers!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #7
grandequeso
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I tthought this was a joke. everything in the diagram was set up to go kabooom, except for the pump. Go to auber instruments website and read the manual to any of their pid controllers. They include diagrams for commonly used setups. I suggest you research a bit more and learn as much as you can before you design / build a system. That way you won't have regrets later. what you think you might need today may be different tomorrow.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
crane
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You don't have your PID shown in the diagram. Also you need to fully understand how SSRs work to wire it up correctly. Generally they use a low voltage DC signal for their input which normally would come from the output of your PID controller. The output of the SSR is a switch so you would wire up one side from your source (line from the GFCI) and the other side would go to the STDP switch to select the element or the gas valve. However it sounds like gas valves run on 12VDC so that part isn't going to work either.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
crane
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandequeso
I tthought this was a joke. everything in the diagram was set up to go kabooom, except for the pump. Go to auber instruments website and read the manual to any of their pid controllers. They include diagrams for commonly used setups. I suggest you research a bit more and learn as much as you can before you design / build a system. That way you won't have regrets later. what you think you might need today may be different tomorrow.
Actually the only thing that would go kaboom would be the SSR. The output of the SSR would be connecting up non-energized wires so the heating element and gas valve would have 0 volts across their terminals regardless of what position the switch on the output is at. This is assuming that the SSRs input is low voltage DC. If the SSR used 120VAC as its input then nothing would go kaboom. The element and gas valve would simply have their input terminals shorted together.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Dogwolf,
Draw up a diagram of what you have now and add the info on volts, amps and any other specs to each item, then thinkl in terms of getting power from the wall safely to each item in the correct voltage. Once you have drawn out the circuits, then you can look at adding fises to protect the system. Sice brewing uses water I treat the whole system as a wet area hazard and use a Spa GFCI panel for the initial power feed into the panel. That will protect you from a major shock or burn. Once you identify each circuit you will need a way to turn it on and off or to control the voltage up or down. I use SSR's since they allow me to use very low, safe levels of voltage to switch them on and off. A small to medium 12 VDC power supply is very inexpensive and will make your project much easier to safely wire and do exactly what you would like for it to do. The key here is to not get discouraged, and try to be as thorough as possible on what you need and want in your system. Adding extra items now is relatively simple, adding the same stuff later may not be so easy, so plan in advance for the system to evolve and grow if you can. Hope this helps, and as always if you need help just holler or you can PM me and I will try to help you out.
Bob