Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Parti-gyle rule of thumb

Old 08-15-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
teu1003
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Parti-gyle rule of thumb

I wonder if anyone has any experience as to what the OG of the FIRST half of an all-grain run-off would be. For example, if I make a 6 gallon batch using an 8 gallon boil, is there a rule of thumb for what percentage of sugars I'm going to get in the first 4 gallon run-off?

I have read somewhere that the first third of run-off has half the sugars. True?

Just for fun, I made a graph using this info and assuming a curve that passes thru the "one-third equals one-half" point is valid, it looks like the first half of the wort would have 63% of the sugars.

Have I confused everyone?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

This is really going to depend on your process and system. This is where you could really justify a refractometer as you could measure your gravity quickly and easily while sparging and stop once you have your desired gravity points for the first beer.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Very interesting question. I use batch sparging and have been recording the gravity of the run offs just because I thought they might be usefull some day. Could you post your data and graph?

Old 08-16-2007, 02:38 AM   #4
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is some info that may be helpful.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/lib....2/mosher.html

Old 08-16-2007, 03:33 AM   #5
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbronze
Here is some info that may be helpful.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/lib....2/mosher.html
I've looked real hard at Mosher's numbers and there seems to be an inconsistency that has been bugging me. He lists a 50/50 split batch as 58% suagrs in the first half, 42% second half, but the chart he links shows it as 2/3 first half, 1/3 second half. If you try to graph this, the same thing occurs. He states that 50% of the sugar is in the first third of the runnings. This is confirmed in his first table as well as later in the article when he mentions making 3 beers and they would be roughly 24 Plato, 16 Plato, and 8 Plato, which is 1/2, 1/3, and 1/6 of the sugar extracted, respectively. If you plot this on a graph, you get the the first one below. (Note: 100% of sugars extracted means 100% of the sugars you plan on collecting, not that you are getting 100% efficiency). If you add in the point of 50% runnings collected at 58% of sugars, it just doesn't fit the graph (second one). A better fit is 69% of sugars at 50% collected (third one). In theory, this should follow an exponential curve, something like 1 - e^x, where x is some small negative number. I could go into more detail if anyone cares.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Extract1.GIF
Views:	101
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	2352

Name:	Extract2.GIF
Views:	100
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	2353

Name:	Extract3.GIF
Views:	94
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	2354
Primary:
Imperial Milk Stout
Next Up: --
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand (Done), Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 08-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson83
Very interesting question. I use batch sparging and have been recording the gravity of the run offs just because I thought they might be usefull some day. Could you post your data and graph?
Good point - I also batch sparge. Seems to me that you could dial in your batch sparge process to hit your desired gravities by varying the amounts of mash and sparge water. I need to check my notes.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I'm going to try this with an upcoming batch...I was just going to collect the runoff in 3 or 4 different batches, take the gravity of each, and then blend them as needed to get the target pre-boil gravities and volumes for each of the 2 beers.

Seems easier than trying to calc a target and constantly monitor the runoff gravity.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
Nostrildamus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I did something similar on my last batch. I ran off the first 5 gallons via fly sparge into my primary kettle and then simply swapped vessels to a secondary kettle and kept sparging for another 2.5 gallons. I checked the gravity of the first and then the second and did the calcs and combined what I needed to hit my target gravity (1.060). Worked like a charm.

It seems to me that 3/4 of the gravity was extracted in the first 2/3s of the sparge.

Drinking: Fight Night Pale Ale
Fermenting: 100 pints o' Stout