Repeating Mouse Traps - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Repeating Mouse Traps

Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5019 Times on 3389 Posts

I have a repeating trap but it rarely catches anything. Then I forget to check it for a few days and THEN they get in there and die.

I prefer the clamshell style single traps. they reset with just a pinch. To release the dead mouse, just pinch.

Poison is not good for the reasons of they can die inside your walls, and they can carry poison to cats if they get eaten. Not a big deal if you don't have cats I guess.

The water in a bucket trick works very well.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
JJL

Recipes 

Feb 2010
, WI
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by estricklin View Post
Decon!!! The poison in this stuff makes mice get very thirsty and thus they go outside to look for water and die.

The traps are great but its hard to win the war with them....
This is a myth. There are no poisons that do this. Mice eat and return to their nests. If the nest is outside, they go outside. If it's in your wall, they die in your wall.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
JJL

Recipes 

Feb 2010
, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Ever try the sound thing that scares them away? My cousin uses it at his mountain cabin and in all my time going up there, I've only found one mouse in this traps.
The sonic things are basically a scam. They might temporarily deter the mice, but eventually they just get used to the sound. Mice fear anything new in the environment until they get used to it, which usually doesn't take very long.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade
Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Hm I will have to try the bucket trick.

So I caught three mice in the basement in the repeating trap. Interesting, there were two in there when I went to bed that were very chummy. This morning when I checked it, there was a third one in there. But apparentley they did not get along! This third mouse - well - it was dead - and it's throat was ripped out!

Old 10-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
JJL

Recipes 

Feb 2010
, WI

By the way, where are you releasing these mice? Or what are you doing with them after you've caught a bunch?

Old 10-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
Or what are you doing with them after you've caught a bunch?
Frying them up of course! Didn't you see Never Cry Wolf?!?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

Interesting in regards to the sonic device. He's happy with it though, I know that. I used to go up there a lot and only found one mouse. Maybe there's not too many around to begin with?

Old 10-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

Welll ... since you asked ... I am not releasing them live. Because I know if I do that there's a good chance they'll just find their way back in. I had been trying to figure out how I would dispatch them. Then I noticed my Co2 pistol bb gun nozzle fits right through the little airholes in the trap. And the mice seem to like to sit right in front of the airholes. So one bb for each dispatches them quickly.

So all in all I think it's a toss up. Baiting and resetting the individual traps vs dispatching several in a larger trap and then cleaning out the trap. Damn they make a mess in there in a very short time. I put shelled peanuts inside my traps too.

A few years ago I caught *six* red squirrels in my basement within a couple days. They had chewed around the old wooden door. I also caught a possum down there, the thing (or something) ripped the screen right out of the basement window and crawled in I guess.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
JohnnyO

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Hamden, CT
Liked 917 Times on 857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpweeks View Post
Try my redneck mouse trap.

Take a five gallon pail (an old one please!). Fill it one third full of water. Put a smear of eanut butter on the inside wall about 4" down from the top. Then provide the mice a nice ramp for them walk up so they can go swimming.
I have a variation on this. We smear a soda/beer can with peanut butter, punch a hole in the center top and center bottom. Suspend it over the bucket with a rod used to hang insulation. This way the rodent crawls on the can to get the delicious peanut butter, then it twirls around dumping him into the bucket.

Rather than water, we use 2-3" of antifreeze. Kills them quickly and masks the smell.

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

So they are able to crawl across the rod to get to the can? I'm guessing they would be able to do that ... I might try that out using just some scrap steel rod.