Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Witbier with wheat malt. Single infusion.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
callback79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Witbier with wheat malt. Single infusion.

Hello,

I tried to do something close to a Witbier this week. Everything went very well. But after some readings, I'm not sure if the final product will be close to a Witbier.

I used Weyermann Pilsner (I know, not Belgian), Wheat malt and a little bit of oats flakes (5%).

I think most people use Unmalted wheat and it seems you have to use a step mash for Witbier (due to unmalted wheat ? not sure). I did a single infusion at 151-152F for 60 minutes. I used Wyeast 3944.

Should I expect something far from being a Witbier or can it be pretty close to that style even if I used wheat malt ?

Other question, as I said, there is a little amount of Oats flakes. Are we suposed to use a step mash for flakes and unmalted grains ?

Thanks.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts

I use wheat malt a lot in wit and it works fine. At least I like it and it does get to tasting like wit. The oats will not hurt it at all.. they will add a little smoothness to the mouth feel which will be good in a wit. Not sure about the yeast you used but Wyeast says it is wit yeast I believe them. A lot of the flavors will come from the yeast.

Relax.. you're gonna have some wit.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 86

I used 3944 in a shock top clone i did for swmbo and it turned out excellent. doesn't really taste like shock top but hoping it will with some age, it was pretty young when i had tried it

Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
ChrisJPassarelli
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No worries at all, as the others said it'll work fine. If you're using a large amount of adjuncts like flaked cereals, it can be good to do a protein rest, but it's pretty unimportant in this case: you're going for cloudy anyway, and any detriment to shelf life is pretty irrelevant for homebrewing. I'm sure it'll be great!

Old 10-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
callback79
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey thanks to all.

I now know what a protein rest is.

New things learned.

Thanks.

ChrisJPassarelli Likes This