Bottling - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottling
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
MinnesnowtaBrew
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 103
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Is it ok to use the dishwasher plastic limbs to rest your bottles to drip dry after dunking them in star san? I would of course run a cycle first.

Just curious if this is a viable option w/o the bottle tree.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Rehlgood
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 180
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesnowtaBrew
Is it ok to use the dishwasher plastic limbs to rest your bottles to drip dry after dunking them in star san? I would of course run a cycle first.

Just curious if this is a viable option w/o the bottle tree.
Yes. Just run it through the heat cycle to sanitize prion to use as a bottle tree.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
AMonkey
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
AMonkey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Elgin, ND
Posts: 1,446
Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 17


This is what I did the last time I bottled and it worked great. Just emptied the clean dishes out and dunked and placed the bottles in the dishwasher. Then I closed the door until I was ready. I figure this is no worse than leaving them on a bottle tree, nothing will get in the bottles this way. Then I bottled over the door and it made cleanup really easy as well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Jayhem
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 2,640
Liked 278 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 1254


I actually have 2 extra dishwasher racks I got for free from a scrap yard that I sanitize and use as my bottle tree. Between the two of them I can easily drip dry about 75 bottles at a time.
__________________
Next up: Amber Ale
Primary 1&2: 90 Min IPA clone
Primary 3&4: Belgian Wit
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
WoodlandBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 2,191
Liked 243 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 59


You can sterilize your bottles in the oven. I think it's easier and the bottles are cleaner.
Like this:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...terilized.html
__________________
The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
MinnesnowtaBrew
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 103
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey
This is what I did the last time I bottled and it worked great. Just emptied the clean dishes out and dunked and placed the bottles in the dishwasher. Then I closed the door until I was ready. I figure this is no worse than leaving them on a bottle tree, nothing will get in the bottles this way. Then I bottled over the door and it made cleanup really easy as well.
This sounds great and will be exactly what I'll do tonight. Thank you for your response and help.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
chungking
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 310
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


After running the dishwasher on high heat and sanitize cycle, is it necessary to then dip the bottles in starsan?

I would imagine it would not be necessary, unless you want to be really, really careful...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
AMonkey
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
AMonkey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Elgin, ND
Posts: 1,446
Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 17


Quote:
Originally Posted by chungking View Post
After running the dishwasher on high heat and sanitize cycle, is it necessary to then dip the bottles in starsan?

I would imagine it would not be necessary, unless you want to be really, really careful...
No it is not needed. I just cannot shut off the jet dry in my dishwasher and had issues with no head. Since this can be caused by jet dry I decided not to use the dishwasher for sanitizing. So I use starsan but use the dishwasher rack as a bottle tree. After I place the bottles in there I do not run the dishwasher, just leave them there until ready to bottle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Jayhem
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 2,640
Liked 278 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 1254


Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
You can sterilize your bottles in the oven. I think it's easier and the bottles are cleaner.
Like this:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...terilized.html

This is the way I always bottle. My oven holds about 55 bottles standing on the lower shelf so I just sanitize at 180F for 20 minutes and then as soon as they are cool enough to touch I move the bottles to the counter where they are filled and capped. Never had an infection and no matter what people say about Starsan it can increase the bitterness of your beer if you bottle into star san soaked bottles. Oven sanitizing leaves the bottles super clean and dry so they are much easier to handle than slippery starsan bottles.
__________________
Next up: Amber Ale
Primary 1&2: 90 Min IPA clone
Primary 3&4: Belgian Wit
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
RainyDay
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 539
Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem

This is the way I always bottle. My oven holds about 55 bottles standing on the lower shelf so I just sanitize at 180F for 20 minutes and then as soon as they are cool enough to touch I move the bottles to the counter where they are filled and capped. Never had an infection and no matter what people say about Starsan it can increase the bitterness of your beer if you bottle into star san soaked bottles. Oven sanitizing leaves the bottles super clean and dry so they are much easier to handle than slippery starsan bottles.
Do you rinse the bottles just before you put them in the oven or so you not worry about that? I typically starsan and throw them in the dishwasher (rinse the starsan out and sanitize twice), but this sounds easier than dunking 30+ bottles in starsan and waiting an hour and a half for the bottles to be done.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gravity reading after bottling is in another league compared to FG at bottling... DoctorDuvel Fermentation & Yeast 4 02-08-2011 10:19 PM
Bottling: Hoses very hard to remove from bottling wand and auto siphon IncredibleMulk Bottling/Kegging 14 01-11-2010 07:28 PM
Hop-odor in Bottling Bucket, safe for quick bottling? CallMeZoot Equipment/Sanitation 3 01-15-2008 01:27 AM
Repost Bottling after cold crash? Bottling from keg? Robar General Techniques 16 11-08-2007 06:49 PM
Bottling day: Sediments in carboy and adding bottling sugar g0dolphins Bottling/Kegging 3 12-19-2006 08:04 PM


Forum Jump