old hobbies - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > old hobbies

Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #21
mbauer013
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

Now Cooper, I still rock climb and I'm bigger than you (about 265) you just have to tie a swiss seat, they don't make harnesses with 22 inch leg loops! You also have to use your legs a lot more than your upper body.

To be honest I can't afford any of my old hobbies any more after brewing, either in money or time!

Old 10-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
cooper
Recipes 

Dec 2009
OFallon, IL
Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

My hat is off to you sir for the rock climbing! I've wanted to give that a shot but I'm not in an area where folks do that sort of thing. I think they have a bouldering facility in St. Louis but I'm not sure.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
Whattawort

Recipes 

Aug 2012
East Bumfark, Yonder
Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
I dont really have old hobbies,

I play the bagpipes - even got to play for Obama at the White House two years ago and I'm a member of the St. Louis Caledonian Pipe band in St. Louis MO.

Study natural horsemanship (my horse thanks me for that) I like using Chris Cox's methods

Running (SWMBO is a marathon runner) but I weigh 230 pounds so this is hard for me and there arent many 230 pound marathoners like there aren't many 230 pound rock climbers, they're all dead! Tried to tell the wife this but she just rolls her eyes

Olympic Weightlifting and Crossfit - working to get my muscle ups better to where I can actually do more than two in a row and I'd like to eventually compete at a Crossfit games

Used to love sportbikes but I'd rather spend the money on more stuff for brewing -- and once you get a sportbike out for a track day, you'll never want to ride on the street again, just isn't the same

I like video games but I'll sit there in front of the TV for 9 hours and not even know it playing the dang things. The latest one was Dragon's Dogma... that game is addictive
Cooper, I personally know the VP of Education for the Garage Games. Let me know if you need/want any info about them. As I understand it, a lot of competitors for the CF Games use the Garage Games for preparation. I had to let CF go a while back but I'll occasionally get a sub10 workout in a couple times a week. Mostly "Death By.." and "Tabatas".

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 10-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #24
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

This is another weird hobby of mine. Numbers! I like equations and spreadsheets, and I recently began trying to pick NFL games again at the behest of a friend. Well, I have been tweaking my old system every week. Then a couple days ago, I had a Eureka! moment. I spotted where my system was missing. I refinagled my system a bit.

I have got it to where for the last 3 weeks I would have had a 19 and 4 record and am feeling confident enough to place a few small test bets next week. Even prior to the adjustments, I was sitting in the upper 60 or lower 70% range.

So I guess trying to beat the spread is a new/old hobby for me. That and brewing? Talk about signs of an addictive personality! But hey, at least I am quitting smoking.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
Whattawort

Recipes 

Aug 2012
East Bumfark, Yonder
Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
This is another weird hobby of mine. Numbers! I like equations and spreadsheets, and I recently began trying to pick NFL games again at the behest of a friend. Well, I have been tweaking my old system every week. Then a couple days ago, I had a Eureka! moment. I spotted where my system was missing. I refinagled my system a bit.

I have got it to where for the last 3 weeks I would have had a 19 and 4 record and am feeling confident enough to place a few small test bets next week. Even prior to the adjustments, I was sitting in the upper 60 or lower 70% range.

So I guess trying to beat the spread is a new/old hobby for me. That and brewing? Talk about signs of an addictive personality! But hey, at least I am quitting smoking.
Good luck on staying smoke free. I made it 3 weeks before I caved in and relapsed. I fear that Big Tobacco has me by the short and curlies for the rest of my pathetic life. I could probably quit more successfully if SWMBO would be more willing to quit with me. Going on Chantix was by far the worst move I have ever made in my life though. I was one of the patients you hear about who had the vivid dreams and had bouts of psychosis. BUT to the manufacturer's credit, it really did help with smoking cessation. Made them taste like raw chemicals.

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post

I'm down with numbers, too. I'm not sure if this could be considered a hobby, but I count everything. Any time I am doing something repetitive, like walking or brushing my teeth, I'm counting the number of steps or brushes. Usually it starts out subconsciously and then I'll realize I've been counting for a while.

I've also recently been learning calculus just for the hell of it. It seems like it could come in handy one day, especially if I decide to go back to college.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #27
ahaley
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Tracy, Ca
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer

I'm down with numbers, too. I'm not sure if this could be considered a hobby, but I count everything. Any time I am doing something repetitive, like walking or brushing my teeth, I'm counting the number of steps or brushes. Usually it starts out subconsciously and then I'll realize I've been counting for a while.

I've also recently been learning calculus just for the hell of it. It seems like it could come in handy one day, especially if I decide to go back to college.
I hate all forms of math, and I find myself Counting everything. Stairs up, down, counting lines of signs at stop lights ect. I think my wife thinks I'm crazy! :x

Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #28
Chia
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Cape Girardeau, MO
Liked 77 Times on 16 Posts

might as well toss my hat in here. I have had lots of hobbies, but the only one that ever stuck was competitive handgun shooting. price got too high for ammo and gas to matches so i started brewing. i am not sure if riding my motorcycle is a hobby, it is a get away for the wife and i, but also basic transportation in the current economy.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #29
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Lincoln, NE
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Disc Golf, and Spinning Records. Home Brewing really fit nicely into the mix of life for me. I still do all three as much as possible, honestly.

I also like to have a nice aquarium around the pad..

Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #30
manny1
Recipes 

Oct 2012
albury, nsw
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fishing is one hobby I lost touch with,work ,wife,kids,life and have just started getting back to over the last couple of months and it is great.
The best thing is the kids that I was taking to sport,parties and everywhere else now drive,so I say remember all the times I took you places it is your turn now and get them to drive me to the river so I can sit there fish & drink homebrew.
Love it!!!!!!!!!!