old hobbies - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > old hobbies

Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

I used to be pretty big into computer programming, 3D modelling, anything to do with game development really. Never got very good at any of them, so now I make beer. I also did SCUBA for a while when I was in Hawaii, but now that I am in Connecticut there's not much opportunity to go diving.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
jsv1204
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

I have a host of RC planes and one very expensive RC helicopter collecting dust in the corner of the brew cave...

Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
CoalCracker
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Macungie, Pa
Liked 106 Times on 65 Posts

Playing guitar. I used to be really good at that. Gave it up and would love to get back into it. However, playing by yourself is no fun and I have no time to join a band.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

I still play guitar a bit. As a hobby.

Did some Rockets. Made a mobile launcher from a magnetic CB antenna with a plastic plate mounted at the base to accept the burn. We'd stick on the car and launch using the car battery... I should get back into that again. Something the kid can build with me. Need to see about building a vacuum mixing chamber so I can make my own engines. D size is too small...

Still have all of my SCUBA gear. I own everything except the tank. I've only dived in local lakes and Lake Michigan a couple of times. Need to find a more tropical location for a change. And sadly I'm guessing my wetsuit doesn't fit.

Brewing is probably one of the more expensive hobbies for me right now since I'm building an EHERMS rig. Next to the 69 Mustang project waiting for me to rediscover it in the garage.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
WesleyS
Recipes 

May 2012
Liked 4216 Times on 2789 Posts

Old hobbies....hmmmmm

SCUBA diving. Wife says its too dangerous and I really don't get the opportunity to go anymore. So all my equipment is just collecting dust, and a few things probably don't fit anymore.

Playing drums. Too loud for my wife and the drum set takes up a lot of room now that we have a kid. So it's just collecting dust at my parents' house.

Video games. I'm no longer 13 so...yeah. But I see a comeback when my daughter gets a little older.
For now my current hobbies are hunting, fishing and brewing.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
Guidry
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Denham Springs, La
Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts

I'm into the rocket scene also....As for D size being too small, these days you can buy much larger than that. My club launches M and L powered birds on a regular basis. Of course, you need certification and a properly sized launch site for those.

I've got a stash of unbuilt kits I was looking at just the other day. Guess if I don't have time to get to the brew shop between now and then, I'll probably take one of the kits out this weekend.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
cooper
Recipes 

Dec 2009
OFallon, IL
Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I dont really have old hobbies,

I play the bagpipes - even got to play for Obama at the White House two years ago and I'm a member of the St. Louis Caledonian Pipe band in St. Louis MO.

Study natural horsemanship (my horse thanks me for that) I like using Chris Cox's methods

Running (SWMBO is a marathon runner) but I weigh 230 pounds so this is hard for me and there arent many 230 pound marathoners like there aren't many 230 pound rock climbers, they're all dead! Tried to tell the wife this but she just rolls her eyes

Olympic Weightlifting and Crossfit - working to get my muscle ups better to where I can actually do more than two in a row and I'd like to eventually compete at a Crossfit games

Used to love sportbikes but I'd rather spend the money on more stuff for brewing -- and once you get a sportbike out for a track day, you'll never want to ride on the street again, just isn't the same

I like video games but I'll sit there in front of the TV for 9 hours and not even know it playing the dang things. The latest one was Dragon's Dogma... that game is addictive

Old 10-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Tex
Recipes 

Nov 2011
ft worth
Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts

I really miss riding motocross, only quit because I broke both my legs and medical bills were expensive so I sold the bike.

I used to mountain bike all the time but my friends that were into it moved away, sucks riding by yourself.

I've always been a tinkerer and continue that to this day, picked up an old Honda last week that I'm building into a cafe racer.

I grew up playing ice hockey and miss the competition, I was at AA/AAA level from ages 10-16 and traveled all over the US and Canada to play. Wasn't a hobby as much as it was life, it consumed my whole family's time and finances. I quit when I was 16 and regret that decision everyday. I was in a men's league but the mx accident has prevented me from playing the last couple years, I'll skate again once my legs work better.

Brewing is a hobby I'll have til the day I die.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
ahaley
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Tracy, Ca
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

That's something I forgot, I like to tinker / try to build with things, I used to play piano and guitar as a kid but gave them up and I really regret it, I'm trying to teach myself how to play piano, guitar and violin. Rock climbing is super fun, I've attempted to make a long bow from Home Depot wood and it cracked so that made me sad, I want to try again sometime soon.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Whattawort
Recipes 

Aug 2012
East Bumfark, Yonder
Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts

I lost interest in my old hobby. She told me her name.

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare