Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pepper Basics

Old 10-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Matteo57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Here is a big thread about a Jalepeno Cream Ale... It looks interesting and might brew it sometime for next summer!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/jala...am-ale-131294/

Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So the plan is to brew a Jalapeno Cream Ale next weekend. I thought I'd post my plans here ahead of time to see if y'all have any suggestions or feedback. Also, I decided to abandon kits and use Jamil's Cream Ale for the basic recipe.

3.3 lb. Pilsner LME
3.3 lb. Light LME
1.7 lb. Rice Syrup

Liberty 4% AAU 1oz. @ 60 min
2-4 jalapenos, deseeded/deveined/chopped/skin on @ 30 min
Liberty 4% AAU .5 oz @ 1 min

Looking for yeast suggestions... I've seen Nottingham dry, Wyeast 1056 and WLP080 in a lot of cream ale recipes.

What I'm going for a light, refreshing quaff with a nice pepper flavor, but little to no heat. A perfect pairing with nachos. The plan is to roast, then freeze the pepper overnight and thaw during prep. I also decided to err on the light side with the pepper, rather than risk overdoing. Better to have subtlety, I think. I'm also on the fence about dry hopping another few peppers in for the last week of primary. I want the more complex flavor, but I want to minimize the heat. Suggestions?

Primary: Little Jack Red (Irish Red)
On Deck: Black IPA, 60 Schilling

Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #13
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've not done it yet.. but, will likely do this recipe in the spring. I absolutely love to chomp japs.. and love to stuff them with cream cheese and smoked salmon.. IOW, I'm a jap nut..

BUT, for a brew.. I'm going to err on the light side. I'll brew a 2.5 gallon batch and use one jap. If that seems too light, the next time I'll go 1.5 or 2 max. I really want the cream all with only a hint of the pepper.

But, that's me.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 194 Posts

I disagree about boiling = flavor; secondary = heat. I find it is the other way around. Boiling drives off a lot of the aromatics and breaks down the flavor (think hops boiled 60 min versus dry hopped) while peppers in secondary release the flavor and some of the heat. I think you can to your conclusion because a lot of people like to throw too much in secondary and it ends up being too spicy. Although lots of brewers in CO seem to add the peppers at the end of the boil with a few minutes left or at flame out and get some different flavor. That will work, too.

The easiest way to add peppers is definitely in secondary because you can add and taste daily to see when it reaches the right flavor profile and heat. If it isn't getting hot enough for you, add more peppers. You just can't take heat away from your beer.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
Tamarlane
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you dry the peppers and toast them in a skillet then make a tea with vodka you will get a richer flavor then just dropping them in the kettle or secondary.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #16
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

But won't that also add more heat? Or is the key to minimizing heat in getting rid of seeds and veins?

Old 11-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #17
Tamarlane
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigbrew View Post
But won't that also add more heat? Or is the key to minimizing heat in getting rid of seeds and veins?
you can remove the seeds and veins before or after you dry them

Old 11-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #18
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So I brewed this beer today using the recipe I listed above and pitched 1056. Threw in 4 grilled and halved peppers at 20 min left in the boil. OG was 1.055. Couldn't taste any pepper or heat in the wort sample. I held two peppers back and have them soaking in vodka to add next week of it needs more flavor.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #19
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Took my first sample tonight, 7 days in primary. Sample was pretty clear already with a subtle but definite pepper finish and no heat. Exactly was I was looking for. Decided to press my luck and dropped in two more peppers (bagged for extraction) into the carboy. Held the soaking vodka back but saved it just in case. Maybe I'll split the batch at bottling and see how the vodka affects the final product.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #20
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh, damn, this beer is amazing! 24 hours of dry hopping the jalapeņos and a couple more days to clear and I just took a gravity reading of 1.013, which gives me a 6.1 ABV. Nice, clear and dry with a clear pepper finish and zero heat. If the reading is stable tomorrow, I'll be bottling.