Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 3-MD-MT-HC Ergonomics

Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
calculon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 3-MD-MT-HC Ergonomics

Hello All,

I'm looking to pick up a pair of Little Giant 3-MD-MT-HC pumps for my AG setup. I will be using camlocks for my QDs. Can anyone offer any insight into the ergonomics of this setup?

The inlet and outlet of the pump are angled up in such a way that my hoses may interfere with one another and become awkward to conn/dconn in the heat of the moment. If anyone has a similar setup your input would be much appreciated!!

Calculon

Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
calculon
Recipes 

Default link

I was looking for someone with first hand knowledge but here's the link should someone want to weigh in on a theoretical basis.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/L...57399/Cat/1006

Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
dfess1
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I am running these guys: http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/L...57432/Cat/1006

work no problem. Very happy with them, surprisingly much quieter than the march pump too.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm using 2 LG pumps piped to valves on output and camlocks with no problems. My system does not require switching hoses during operation, it is all done with 3-way valves. Note my very cheap splash guards!

Here's a photo of the sub base and pumps in my system.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
calculon
Recipes 

Hey ChuckO,

Thanks for the reply. I will be disconnecting and reconnecting hoses during my brew day...If you were to be moving hoses around, do you think you'd still be happy with the way the inlets and outlets on the pump are positioned when taking camlock arms and rings and valve switches into consideration?

Nice setup. I like how you used restaurant-style wire shelving-wish I'd thought of that. how does your top shelf hold up to your firing? or are you electric?

C

Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
Note my very cheap splash guards!

Here's a photo of the sub base and pumps in my system.
I have a creamer splash guard on my pump at home. Coffee can on the big 50 gallon rigs pump.

It looks like the camlocks would work with enough clearance on that style pump head.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was using 3/4" camlocks on mine and had no issues with connecting up the fittings. You just have to make sure the handles of the camlocks aren't pointing at each other, but more front to back on the pump and you'll have no issues connecting them up.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon View Post
Hey ChuckO,

Thanks for the reply. I will be disconnecting and reconnecting hoses during my brew day...If you were to be moving hoses around, do you think you'd still be happy with the way the inlets and outlets on the pump are positioned when taking camlock arms and rings and valve switches into consideration?

Nice setup. I like how you used restaurant-style wire shelving-wish I'd thought of that. how does your top shelf hold up to your firing? or are you electric?

C
I don't think that the camlocks would cause any problem with moving the hoses as long as you position the cams properly and remove the rings that hold the locking clips. Never did find a need for the locking clips.

I heat with electric, so the shelving doesn't cause a problem except that with a full 10 gal. boil and grain still in the MLT it deflects a little. I will switch to a SS restaurant table if I can find one at a reasonable price.