Can I do an all wheat mash? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can I do an all wheat mash?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
r_vear
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am currently living in a place where there is nothing available, as far as I can tell but wheat. Now I have 7.5lbs of crushed wheat, and I'm not sure if it's malted or not. I know that I need the enzymes of someting malted to help break down the wheat so all that I could find was 2 lbs. of Malted Wheat Flakes. Will that be enough or does my mash require malted barley?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Ponderay, Idaho
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

From what I have read, you cannot do an all-wheat beer. If I recall correctly, it is recommended to have no more than 50% wheat as the grain bill. You will need some malted barley to give you the enzymatic action that is needed. (Please correct me if I am wrong). I hope that this helps.

Mark

Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
Brulosopher

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_vear
I am currently living in a place where there is nothing available, as far as I can tell but wheat. Now I have 7.5lbs of crushed wheat, and I'm not sure if it's malted or not. I know that I need the enzymes of someting malted to help break down the wheat so all that I could find was 2 lbs. of Malted Wheat Flakes. Will that be enough or does my mash require malted barley?
Well, 100% malted wheat beers have been done successfully... but I can't speak to your ingredients. Why not try it and let us know how it turns out?!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Arlington (DC), VA
Liked 3424 Times on 2445 Posts

I believe malted wheat can self-convert, so a 100% wheat beer is theoretically possible, but probably not a good idea. I'm sure someone has done it. I know the folks at Basic Brewing did a 100% rye beer.

Unless you have a load of rice hulls or are doing BIAB, you'll never be able to sparge. I've gone as high as 60% wheat with no issues (doing BIAB).

In this case, i don't know if wheat malt can convert other grains, so if the other wheat you have hasn't had something done to convert it already i don't know if it'd work. Plus if you can't get a lautering aid (rice hulls etc) or do BIAB you're guaranteed a stuck sparge.
Cellar: '10 Brett B Tripel, '11 Lambic, '13 Brett C English Barleywine, '13 Quadrupel, '13 Sour Stout, '14 Brett C Bitter, '14 Spontaneously Fermented Cider, '15 Wee Heavy, '15 100% Brett B Red, '15 100% Brett L Kriek, '15 Bière de Garde

Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
Brulosopher

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf
I believe malted wheat can self-convert, so a 100% wheat beer is theoretically possible, but probably not a good idea. I'm sure someone has done it. I know the folks at Basic Brewing did a 100% rye beer.
They're also the guys who do a 100% wheat beer

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
AndrewD
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_vear View Post
Mail order? There are so many great online retailers for brewing ingredients on the sponsors page here. More and more Northern Brewer gets my money compared to the local shops. It makes me feel guilty about not supporting the local economy, but the shops NEVER have everything I need.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
bleme

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Visalia, CA
Liked 318 Times on 232 Posts

If your wheat isn't malted, you will have to add amylase enzyme.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
emetcalf
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Portland, Oregon
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I thought malted wheat actually had more enzymes than 2-row malted barley, but I could be wrong. I don't think 2 lbs of malted wheat flakes will be enough to convert 7.5 lbs of unmalted wheat though. I'm not even sure if the enzymes would still be there after the flaking process. If the 7.5 lbs of wheat are actually malted then there won't be any conversion problems, but sparging will still suck.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

You can definitely do 100% malted wheat mashes.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
r_vear
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post

Unless you have a load of rice hulls or are doing BIAB, you'll never be able to sparge. I've gone as high as 60% wheat with no issues (doing BIAB).

In this case, i don't know if wheat malt can convert other grains, so if the other wheat you have hasn't had something done to convert it already i don't know if it'd work. Plus if you can't get a lautering aid (rice hulls etc) or do BIAB you're guaranteed a stuck sparge.

What is a BIAB?