My Weldless Build Using Strut - Page 74 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Weldless Build Using Strut

Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #731
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Saratoga, NY
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinhall09 View Post
Yes , any good casters at Home Depot or harber freight ? I'm guessing get some rated for about 200 - 300 lbs ? And how should I attach them , just use some self tapping metal screws I have on hand ?
I got my wheels at Tractor Supply Co. I didn't us swivel bases because I set it up like a wheelbarrow for rolling one end while the other is lifted. My wheels had a hole in the mounting plate that I was able to put one of the strut bolts through and use the strut nut inside the strut. Pretty easy actually. I don't know what the official names are for those peaces. Of you want a picture I could probably get one.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #732
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Surrounded by Yoopers
Liked 991 Times on 668 Posts

Quote:
Update on my build.

Ran out of strut and 4-hole corner
Brackets, need 6 to complete.

Attachment 160492

Soooooooo close !!
Looks nice. I think you guys may be underestimating the sheer strenth of these fittings and channel nuts. I would not have cut it. I searched but could not find a number for load rating on even simple 90 degree corners. I looked at globe strut and unistrut. If anyone knows, I am curious. I suppose it depends mostly on the grade of bolt used.

I am going to use four uprights and four corner angles to hold up my 55 gallon HLT. I may up the 3/8 to 1/2 in bolts. I can do a chinup on a cross member supported by two corners and 3/8 bolts. My 200lbs doesn't seem to have any effect. I bet I could support the whole family on there with the same results.

The full HLT will be under 500 lbs. So, evenly distributed that is less than 125 per connection. I won't loose any sleep over it.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #733
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Surrounded by Yoopers
Liked 991 Times on 668 Posts

Quote:
Yes , any good casters at Home Depot or harber freight ? I'm guessing get some rated for about 200 - 300 lbs ? And how should I attach them , just use some self tapping metal screws I have on hand ?
You have slotted strut on the bottom right. Just get some castors with studs and bolt them on.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #734
musikguru6
Recipes 

May 2007
Dallas, Texas
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski8986 View Post
So after about a month of work and ordering parts my stand is complete . I'm actually kind of sad it's done I had a lot of fun building it . But on the other hand I'm pumped to brew on it this weekend . I picked up all my ingredients today for my first 10 gal batch . Thanks for all the help and ideas .
Great stand! How did you wire up the box for the pumps? Any chance you could take a close up pic?

Old 11-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #735
sethlovex
Recipes 

Jan 2013
, Central mass
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

It's been over a month since I moved into my house and my strut is sill standing uncut in the corner of my garage....arrrrrrgh. I need to get motivated...as soon as my wife keeps deciding to retile bathrooms and buy new ranges and microwavesWTF ok done venting ow

Old 11-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #736
Drewski8986
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Baltimore, MD
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikguru6

Great stand! How did you wire up the box for the pumps? Any chance you could take a close up pic?
Thanks man I bought an outdoor extension cord and cut off the female end and then cut the male ends off of the pumps . then wired it as you would a switch . Ill take a picture of it later on this afternoon .

Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #737
adamant
Recipes 

May 2011
Columbus, Oh
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Picked up my strut today, and I'm about to order my fittings. FYI there is a coupon code for strutchannelfittings.com "SAVE" for 10% off.

I was planning on going for a 2 tier system, but looking at the cost for the fittings and additional strut, I think it is wisest in the long run to just pony up and get a second pump.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #738
Gunfighter04
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Sugar Grove, Pa
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamant View Post
Picked up my strut today, and I'm about to order my fittings. FYI there is a coupon code for strutchannelfittings.com "SAVE" for 10% off.

I was planning on going for a 2 tier system, but looking at the cost for the fittings and additional strut, I think it is wisest in the long run to just pony up and get a second pump.
That's the advantage of strut, I was in the same boat and just changed my design to a temporary 2 tier.

Keg1: Edmund Fitzgerald Clone
Keg2: Innis and Gunn Clone
Bottled: Belgian Strong
Primary: Southern Pecan Ale

Old 11-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #739
bd2xu
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Atlanta, GA
Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts

I've been doing a single tier with one pump and just batch sparging. But I just got my second pump, mounted it, made a cover, wired them into a switch box, lids, sparge arm in lid, locking in second lid... Just waiting for another couple fittings in mail.
On tap: Lefse Blonde, Palmer's Elevenses, Green Beer, Razzy Wheat
Bottled: Wee Heavy, RIS - Bourbon/Oak aged, RIS - Port Wine/Oak aged

Old 11-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #740
bd2xu
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Atlanta, GA
Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts

Well stage one of this build is complete, stage 2 to come later is the automation. I want to brew a lot on this and get it dialed in before diving into automation.

I got my lids, got both drilled and in one mounted a sparge arm and hose clamped a silicon hose to it (will add a disconnect later probably). On the other lid I mounted my Loc-Line and have a cam lock disconnect on the outside.

Just did a quick test run with both pumps, practiced fly sparging. No leaks, works well. I see now why Lonnie has a big hole cut in his sparge arm lid, need to be able to see the flow from the sparge arm. I will look at doing this but not sure how to cut a big hop win aluminum lid with decent edges.

Planning on a batch run tomorrow, just 5 gallons, making the House IPA (Sweetwater IPA clone) and looking forward to getting back to fly sparging! I will take pics tomorrow.

On tap: Lefse Blonde, Palmer's Elevenses, Green Beer, Razzy Wheat
Bottled: Wee Heavy, RIS - Bourbon/Oak aged, RIS - Port Wine/Oak aged