Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Weldless Build Using Strut

Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #731
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinhall09 View Post
Yes , any good casters at Home Depot or harber freight ? I'm guessing get some rated for about 200 - 300 lbs ? And how should I attach them , just use some self tapping metal screws I have on hand ?
I got my wheels at Tractor Supply Co. I didn't us swivel bases because I set it up like a wheelbarrow for rolling one end while the other is lifted. My wheels had a hole in the mounting plate that I was able to put one of the strut bolts through and use the strut nut inside the strut. Pretty easy actually. I don't know what the official names are for those peaces. Of you want a picture I could probably get one.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #732
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 760

Quote:
Update on my build.

Ran out of strut and 4-hole corner
Brackets, need 6 to complete.

Attachment 160492

Soooooooo close !!
Looks nice. I think you guys may be underestimating the sheer strenth of these fittings and channel nuts. I would not have cut it. I searched but could not find a number for load rating on even simple 90 degree corners. I looked at globe strut and unistrut. If anyone knows, I am curious. I suppose it depends mostly on the grade of bolt used.

I am going to use four uprights and four corner angles to hold up my 55 gallon HLT. I may up the 3/8 to 1/2 in bolts. I can do a chinup on a cross member supported by two corners and 3/8 bolts. My 200lbs doesn't seem to have any effect. I bet I could support the whole family on there with the same results.

The full HLT will be under 500 lbs. So, evenly distributed that is less than 125 per connection. I won't loose any sleep over it.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #733
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 760

Quote:
Yes , any good casters at Home Depot or harber freight ? I'm guessing get some rated for about 200 - 300 lbs ? And how should I attach them , just use some self tapping metal screws I have on hand ?
You have slotted strut on the bottom right. Just get some castors with studs and bolt them on.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #734
musikguru6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski8986 View Post
So after about a month of work and ordering parts my stand is complete . I'm actually kind of sad it's done I had a lot of fun building it . But on the other hand I'm pumped to brew on it this weekend . I picked up all my ingredients today for my first 10 gal batch . Thanks for all the help and ideas .
Great stand! How did you wire up the box for the pumps? Any chance you could take a close up pic?

Old 11-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #735
sethlovex
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's been over a month since I moved into my house and my strut is sill standing uncut in the corner of my garage....arrrrrrgh. I need to get motivated...as soon as my wife keeps deciding to retile bathrooms and buy new ranges and microwavesWTF ok done venting ow

Old 11-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #736
Drewski8986
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikguru6

Great stand! How did you wire up the box for the pumps? Any chance you could take a close up pic?
Thanks man I bought an outdoor extension cord and cut off the female end and then cut the male ends off of the pumps . then wired it as you would a switch . Ill take a picture of it later on this afternoon .

Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #737
adamant
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Picked up my strut today, and I'm about to order my fittings. FYI there is a coupon code for strutchannelfittings.com "SAVE" for 10% off.

I was planning on going for a 2 tier system, but looking at the cost for the fittings and additional strut, I think it is wisest in the long run to just pony up and get a second pump.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #738
Gunfighter04
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamant View Post
Picked up my strut today, and I'm about to order my fittings. FYI there is a coupon code for strutchannelfittings.com "SAVE" for 10% off.

I was planning on going for a 2 tier system, but looking at the cost for the fittings and additional strut, I think it is wisest in the long run to just pony up and get a second pump.
That's the advantage of strut, I was in the same boat and just changed my design to a temporary 2 tier.

Keg1: Edmund Fitzgerald Clone
Keg2: Innis and Gunn Clone
Bottled: Belgian Strong
Primary: Southern Pecan Ale

Old 11-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #739
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts

I've been doing a single tier with one pump and just batch sparging. But I just got my second pump, mounted it, made a cover, wired them into a switch box, lids, sparge arm in lid, locking in second lid... Just waiting for another couple fittings in mail.
On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Helles, 4-Way IPA
Bottled:

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #740
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts

Well stage one of this build is complete, stage 2 to come later is the automation. I want to brew a lot on this and get it dialed in before diving into automation.

I got my lids, got both drilled and in one mounted a sparge arm and hose clamped a silicon hose to it (will add a disconnect later probably). On the other lid I mounted my Loc-Line and have a cam lock disconnect on the outside.

Just did a quick test run with both pumps, practiced fly sparging. No leaks, works well. I see now why Lonnie has a big hole cut in his sparge arm lid, need to be able to see the flow from the sparge arm. I will look at doing this but not sure how to cut a big hop win aluminum lid with decent edges.

Planning on a batch run tomorrow, just 5 gallons, making the House IPA (Sweetwater IPA clone) and looking forward to getting back to fly sparging! I will take pics tomorrow.

On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Helles, 4-Way IPA
Bottled:

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

-Abraham Lincoln