Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Weldless Build Using Strut
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #511
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,471
Liked 166 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

Any issue with this one?

Lowes


__________________
Blog:
Alesoftheriverwards.com

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ed_coffey
Coff is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #512
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LuiInIdaho's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ponderay, Idaho
Posts: 443
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Any issue with this one?

Lowes
That is the same strut that I used for my build. It will work just fine. You might want to get your fittings online at the place where gifty orignally bought his (I can't recall the name now). I bought mine from there and it was much cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot. I bought the strut from Home Depot because it was easy and not that expensive.

Mark


LuiInIdaho is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #513
FTG-05
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Madison, Al
Posts: 190
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiInIdaho View Post
That is the same strut that I used for my build. It will work just fine. You might want to get your fittings online at the place where gifty orignally bought his (I can't recall the name now). I bought mine from there and it was much cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot. I bought the strut from Home Depot because it was easy and not that expensive.

Mark
I agree: http://www.strutchannelfittings.com/
__________________
Primary:
Joe's Ancient Old Mead (JAOM) 10/26/2012
American Wheat
English Bitter
Apple Jack's Limeade Skeeter Pee
Secondary:
Skeeter Pee 10/6/2012
Bottled:
NB Cream Ale and AK47 Pale Mild
FTG-05 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #514
marshallbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
marshallbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nottingham, NH, New Hampshire
Posts: 68
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i don't see any reason why you can't use the non-square version. it will be plenty strong.
Just did it on the supports. May end up changing it.
marshallbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #515
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,599
Liked 813 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallbeer View Post
Just did it on the supports. May end up changing it.
any particular reason why?

i haven't used strut yet, my current build uses angled steel (version 2.0 will be strut), so i'm most interested in hearing about your experience with non-square strut.
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with my homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34, imperial chocolate stout
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #516
reuliss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 426
Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Here's mine that I assembled this weekend. Still lots to do (add burners, propane lines, RIMS system, etc), but you can get a sense for where I'm going with it. I modeled it after one of the MoreBeer sculptures. I like the layout as a good space saver.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130519_182528.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	123216  
reuliss is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #517
gifty74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 273
Liked 30 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuliss View Post
Here's mine that I assembled this weekend. Still lots to do (add burners, propane lines, RIMS system, etc), but you can get a sense for where I'm going with it. I modeled it after one of the MoreBeer sculptures. I like the layout as a good space saver.
Cool, glad you were able to find the material and get a stand going. Just wondering if you were planning to make any changes, or if this is the way you were going to keep it going into brew day. I ask because I think there could be a potential for stability/structural problems with the way it is as posted in the picture. Let us know.

Also, not sure if you knew this or not, but one of the great things about strut is the built-in channel locking system. The strut profile makes for a channel on the underside that when used with the strut locking nuts, allows you to put a fitting anywhere you want, not just where there's a hole/slot in the top side of the strut. I ask because it looks like all of your bolt head are showing on the top side of the strut. If you look at my first original post you can see that all of the bolt heads are on the underside of the material, out of the way, and locked into the channel on the underside with the strut nuts. Just wondering if you knew and just wanted to do it a different way, or if you did not know about the channel and associated nuts.
gifty74 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #518
reuliss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 426
Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
Cool, glad you were able to find the material and get a stand going. Just wondering if you were planning to make any changes, or if this is the way you were going to keep it going into brew day. I ask because I think there could be a potential for stability/structural problems with the way it is as posted in the picture. Let us know.

Also, not sure if you knew this or not, but one of the great things about strut is the built-in channel locking system. The strut profile makes for a channel on the underside that when used with the strut locking nuts, allows you to put a fitting anywhere you want, not just where there's a hole/slot in the top side of the strut. I ask because it looks like all of your bolt head are showing on the top side of the strut. If you look at my first original post you can see that all of the bolt heads are on the underside of the material, out of the way, and locked into the channel on the underside with the strut nuts. Just wondering if you knew and just wanted to do it a different way, or if you did not know about the channel and associated nuts.

Yeah, I'm considering adding two supports because of your point. That said, I'm only doing five gallon batches, and as it stands right now (no pun intended), it is really, really solid. All the same, I look at it and feel the same urge you do about adding some center supports under the lowest tier.

As far as the channeling, that is something I figured out after I was pretty far along in the build, and I've slowly started turning some of the pieces around for that purpose. I was only able to get a limited selection of fittings at my local hardware store, so I was sort of forced to figure out ways to bring everything together. After having worked with it for a weekend, though, I do feel like I might have put it together a bit differently.
reuliss is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #519
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Frozen Tundra, NY
Posts: 3,635
Liked 873 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuliss View Post
Yeah, I'm considering adding two supports because of your point. That said, I'm only doing five gallon batches, and as it stands right now (no pun intended), it is really, really solid. All the same, I look at it and feel the same urge you do about adding some center supports under the lowest tier.
I'd second the center supports for your stand.

Right now your brackets are handling most of the load. I think over time, with repeated heating/cooling (not to mention the weight of the pots) they will probably warp. Even with 5-gallon batches you might have close to 9 gallons of pre-boil wort sitting on your stand. That could put you close to 80-90 lbs plus the weight of your cooler/hlt.

You want any downward forces to be directed through the strut, which was designed to handle a lot of weight.
__________________
Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.
b-boy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #520
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,599
Liked 813 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Default

what others have said... center support suggested/recommended.


__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with my homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34, imperial chocolate stout
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weldless Shelving Single Tier Brew Stand + Fermentation Rack build Zamial Brew Stands 15 06-01-2015 06:45 PM
Need Weldless Bulkhead Kit for Keggle Build JMSetzler Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks 5 05-10-2012 11:52 PM
Single tier weldless brewstand build tulsabrewdaddy Brew Stands 35 01-31-2012 03:31 PM
***Weldless Bottle Caper Build*** JewBrew Other 12 05-26-2010 02:16 PM
My Weldless Electric HERMS build jcdillin Brew Stands 94 12-04-2009 02:11 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS