My Weldless Build Using Strut - Page 37 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Weldless Build Using Strut

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #361
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
bucfanmike's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Duluth
Posts: 1,025
Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts


Yea on one of my old burners I also used the BBQ grate to give me enough base. I just don't want to tear this apart and rebuild if I go too wide. But I also want room to mount the burner. Think ill stick with the 13"


__________________
Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #362
HDIr0n
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Missouri City, Texas
Posts: 552
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts


Here is my submision, I am not finished with it as I am waiting for some more things to come in (Pumps and Casters), but it is mostly finished.


P1000234 by HDIr0n, on Flickr


-G


__________________
My Brutus 20 build

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #363
noonanjs
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 9

Alot of great builds in this thread, and very informative. I have not seen anyone use the solid channel strut in a build? Is there any reason why you wouldn't to? To me it would end up looking alot more like a welded stand, and still have all of the functionality, thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #364
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
The Frozen Tundra, NY
Posts: 4,301
Liked 1204 Times on 785 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by noonanjs View Post
Alot of great builds in this thread, and very informative. I have not seen anyone use the solid channel strut in a build? Is there any reason why you wouldn't to? To me it would end up looking alot more like a welded stand, and still have all of the functionality, thoughts?
I'd say weight, price, and availability. I haven't seen it locally. I've had a tough time even finding bolts, nuts, and fittings other than online.
__________________
Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #365
noonanjs
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
I'd say weight, price, and availability. I haven't seen it locally. I've had a tough time even finding bolts, nuts, and fittings other than online.
I have an electric supply company close by that carries the entire cooper b-line, channel and fittings. They list the solid channel as cheaper, just wanted to make sure it was not a major functionality disadvantage by going solid channle as opposed to slotted

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #366
HDIr0n
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Missouri City, Texas
Posts: 552
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts


Yeah no reason why you shouldn't be able to use solid. I know I did a couple of fittings where I used the slots, you could always just drill it if you needed to.

-G
__________________
My Brutus 20 build

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #367
TerraNova
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Oakland, CA
Posts: 78
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


I am using stainless solid channel strut on my build right now. I will post pics when it is done. It isnt significantly heavier. At the local electrical supply store they were blowing it out and It was cheaper than the slotted... Which is why I bought it.

It looks great. Similar to square tubing for a welded stand.

Pictures coming soon. I am waiting till its done to post but the first pic of it during a loose assembly is pure brewing porn. Sorry to tease.

The stainless fittings are killing my budget though. And there is no point in having SS strut and not use SS fittings and bolts. eBay has been a project saver but it is taking longer than expected to build on budget. Either more money or more time to scour eBay for random parts on the cheap is needed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #368
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Posts: 5,025
Liked 925 Times on 677 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post
I am using stainless solid channel strut on my build right now. I will post pics when it is done. It isnt significantly heavier. At the local electrical supply store they were blowing it out and It was cheaper than the slotted... Which is why I bought it.
wow great score! was this a local mom-n-pop shop, or a national chain? i'd go with SS if it wasn't 5 times the price of zinc-plated.
__________________
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?
- Drinking: Mandarina IPA, Citra "rescued Belgian DIPA", 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2
- Aging: brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries, sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #369
gifty74
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Lancaster, PA
Posts: 269
Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts


Agreed!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #370
snaps10
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Visalia, CA
Posts: 740
Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova
The stainless fittings are killing my budget though. And there is no point in having SS strut and not use SS fittings and bolts. eBay has been a project saver but it is taking longer than expected to build on budget. Either more money or more time to scour eBay for random parts on the cheap is needed.
Do you have fittings in the path of the flame? Aren't your fittings internal anyway? Just trying to speed up your process so I can see the brew pron! :-)



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weldless Shelving Single Tier Brew Stand + Fermentation Rack build Zamial Brew Stands 15 06-01-2015 06:45 PM
Need Weldless Bulkhead Kit for Keggle Build JMSetzler Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 5 05-10-2012 11:52 PM
Single tier weldless brewstand build tulsabrewdaddy Brew Stands 35 01-31-2012 03:31 PM
***Weldless Bottle Caper Build*** JewBrew DIY Projects 12 05-26-2010 02:16 PM
My Weldless Electric HERMS build jcdillin Brew Stands 94 12-04-2009 02:11 AM


Forum Jump