Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Weldless Build Using Strut

Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #301
TerraNova
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesSoda6 View Post
All I had available locally was the galv. SS.
I am not sure I have ever heard of Galvanized Stainless Steel. In fact, water proofing stainless steel is kind of pointless. Did you get galvanized steel (Not stainless)?

How is the rig holding up for you guys that are using galvanized steel? I know, in theory, you can "burn off" the zinc but are you really sure more isn't going to burn off and release the toxic fumes when you are using the stand while brewing?

Also, once the zinc is burned off, it no longer has any water resistant property. Are you worried about rust at all with all that liquid/steam on brew stand? Particles have a tendency to migrate and I am paranoid about using something that isn't stainless on my rig. Is the idea to replace parts that have rusted on a regular cycle?

Just interested how galvanized steel is holding up so I can take it into account when I build my rig in the coming weeks?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #302
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post

I am not sure I have ever heard of Galvanized Stainless Steel. In fact, water proofing stainless steel is kind of pointless. Did you get galvanized steel (Not stainless)?

How is the rig holding up for you guys that are using galvanized steel? I know, in theory, you can "burn off" the zinc but are you really sure more isn't going to burn off and release the toxic fumes when you are using the stand while brewing?

Also, once the zinc is burned off, it no longer has any water resistant property. Are you worried about rust at all with all that liquid/steam on brew stand? Particles have a tendency to migrate and I am paranoid about using something that isn't stainless on my rig. Is the idea to replace parts that have rusted on a regular cycle?

Just interested how galvanized steel is holding up so I can take it into account when I build my rig in the coming weeks?
Since I haven't brewed on mine yet, I can't really say, but since mine is all electric, I'm not really worried.

Instagram: LiquidFlame2600

Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #303
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
Since I haven't brewed on mine yet, I can't really say, but since mine is all electric, I'm not really worried.
But thats my question... how is it holding up in USE and for those who use burners (i.e. any worry about rust once the zinc is gone) and any worry about fumes once the zinc is supposedly gone?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #304
JonesSoda6
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Brewed on mine twice now. The zinc will burn off and flake away and honestly its 12 gauge steel. I don't suspect that the steel will weaken to the point of being a concern for many years. The first time you use it give yourself some good ventilation and you should be fine.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #305
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A friend at work says he has "conditioned" galvanized by heating it multiple times with a torch (wear a respirator) allowing it to cool in between heating. He claims it takes a good looking patina without getting the nasty burned look later on. I was thinking I'll "condition" the pieces I use for the upper portion of my stand before assembling it so the entire top section of my frame looks the same.
Don't know if he's completely sane (we're emt's after all) but he has been welding and metalworking for quite some time.
Anyone know if this sounds right? I could have heard him incorrectly too.
TerraNova Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #306
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesSoda6 View Post
Brewed on mine twice now. The zinc will burn off and flake away and honestly its 12 gauge steel. I don't suspect that the steel will weaken to the point of being a concern for many years. The first time you use it give yourself some good ventilation and you should be fine.
I'm not worried about the steel giving way. Strut is perfect for this application structurally speaking.

But I think you helped me make a decision on this. The last thing I want is something flaking away on rig that can migrate into the brew. That and the fact that once the zinc has flaked off the bare metal is prone to rust (lots of liquid and steam around) which can also migrate into the brew.

Having said that, this stuff is EASY to replace if it becomes a problem.

Great rigs all around.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #307
b-boy
16%er
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 873 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Quote:

I'm not worried about the steel giving way. Strut is perfect for this application structurally speaking.

But I think you helped me make a decision on this. The last thing I want is something flaking away on rig that can migrate into the brew. That and the fact that once the zinc has flaked off the bare metal is prone to rust (lots of liquid and steam around) which can also migrate into the brew.

Having said that, this stuff is EASY to replace if it becomes a problem.

Great rigs all around.
I just got my order and will be building this weekend. I ended up getting stainless for the part of the rig exposed to flames. I got strut and fittings. cost me about $200 more. kinda pricey, but I won some fantasy football money so I splurged.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #308
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Where did you get the stainless strut from? Good price?

Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #309
b-boy
16%er
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 873 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Quote:
Where did you get the stainless strut from? Good price?
http://www.strutchannelfittings.com/...teel_c_49.html

They had free shipping, the best selection, and decent prices. I ordered 4-foot strut sections. The longer you go, the more they cost. It's 14 gauge.

The shipping was great. Got everything in 3 days. I'd order from them again in a heartbeat.

I'm using SS to build the top. I also got stainless bolts, washers, and fittings as well. The SS fittings are the killer. Some of them are ridiculously priced. I made a few adjustments to my design to keep the costs down.

The bottom part of the build will be regular galvinized. It will be a 2-tier system. If I do this right I think I can keep the flames away from all the galvinized sections. I still may need to order a few more SS bits and pieces if I run into problems.

The SS is probably overkill, but I'm weird that way. If something needs 2 nails I'll use 10. I pity anyone who has to take apart something I've built.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #310
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewedit View Post
I'm actually a little concerned about this. I've got 1/2" pipe into my laundry room that I'm going to tie into. I'm guessing that worse case, I'll have to make sure the dryer is off while brewing, but hard to tell without firing it up, right?
If you search back through I detailed pretty well how I did it, and I think it's a pretty robust setup. I too have a 1/2" NG line right inside my garage, in the laundry room. I do not have a dryer hooked up to it (ours is electric) so perfect to use for the rig. I got the good NG QD fittings ($$) but wanted to have real solid shutoff QDs for when I unhook and hook everything up. I went with simple PVC rubber air hose which has no reaction to NG (do not get butyl rubber, not compatible at all). My theory is that I'm always with in a few steps of my rig when gas is going to it, so as long as you have good QDs with a solid hose that is compatible with the gas there should be no issues. It's only hooked up to the gas maybe 3 hours every few weeks. Cheap, flexible, tough, and works great. I went with 1/2" ID hose, and I can run two 10-tip burners, but that is the max. I would guess you would not want the dryer on when you're brewing.