Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Weldless Build Using Strut

Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #171
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 25

A fine toothed metal cutting blade and the sawzall worked faster than the metal cut off wheel. At least this was my experience. I also used something like the Rockwell Jaw Horse (Home Depot Rigid Brand) to hold the work steady. A vise or some clamps holding the strut to a table or some saw horses would also do the trick.

Here is another trick I picked up with working with this stuff. I needed some holes where none were drilled. I used a regular hack saw, took apart the blade, and then reassembled the saw in one of the slots of the strut. I was then able to cut out the middle section between two adjoining slots. This effectively made one long slot out of two shorter ones. I was then able to install my bolts where I needed them (I was doing this on the back side and did not have the items facing the channel.) The channel cut rather easily with the hack saw. I was impressed.

Mark

Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #172
DrPhunk
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 107 Posts

subscribed for future ideas

Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #173
LiquidFlame
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Can't wait to build mine. Would you suggest using a chop saw for cutting the strut? I can rent one locally for not that much, so was thinking of doing that.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #174
LuiInIdaho

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

If you are going to rent a tool, you might consider renting a Sawzall. I found that it made just as clean a cut, but was faster than using a metal cut off saw. Also, if you were renting, I would not rent a chop saw for wood. This might do some damage to the saw or to some pieces of the saw that you might have to explain or be liable for. I did try it with my chop saw and a metal cut off wheel, and I went back to using the Sawzall.

There might be a price difference in the rent between the cut off saw and the sawzall. That could make a difference in your choice.

That is my two cents. Mark

Old 12-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #175
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Just to clarify when you say chop saw are you talking about a miter saw or an actual chop saw?

Old 12-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #176
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 11 Posts

Yeah, I was going to say, you can rent either mitre/compound mitre or regular chop saw. Chop saw is made just for this, cutting strut (steel). I have not tried to do it with a sawzall, but I got to think you would get a more square, cleaner cut with a chop saw where the piece is held in place and you're hitting it at a direct 90 angle. Then again, you said you tried that and went back to the sawzall. I just can't get that in my mind how it would be better. Maybe quicker, but not more accurate, can't be. I have used sawzall a bunch of times, but never on steel, so I can't attest from personal experience. But I think a large chop saw (>12" blade) would have to do a nice job.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #177
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

The people that bought their strut from G-P LLC (StrutChannel Fittings), what size/type did you buy? Please included the part number. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #178
bucfanmike

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i am buying my strut locally but buying all my fittings from the recommended GP-LLC (strutchannelfittings.com). I had $90 worth of fittings in the cart and went to checkout. I filled out my checkout info and then before putting my card info in, i got a phone call. I was on the phone for about 10 mins and then a big red banner popped up on the site. Said enter coupon code SAVE now for 10% off. Sweet

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -
OneImpBrewery Likes This 
Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #179
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

I guess what I should be really asking is, are you guys using 1-5/8" x 13/16" or 1-5/8" x 1-5/8"

Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #180
JonesSoda6
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
The people that bought their strut from G-P LLC (StrutChannel Fittings), what size/type did you buy? Please included the part number. Thanks.
Check pics of spreadsheets in previous posts.