Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Local malt, local hops, but...

Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Epimetheus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default Local malt, local hops, but...

This past Sunday there was an open house at a local malt house, Valley Malt in Hadley, MA which has been open only two years. valleymalt.com The malt smelled at tasted wonderful, so on impulse I got a 20 lb sack. Next, the Brewfest had a vendor with local hops and I grabbed a bag of those. Local grains, malt, and hops - excellent!

As I put the sack into the trunk I realized
1. this stuff is whole and I don't have a grinder
2. even if it was ground, I don't have a large enough pot or fermenter for 5 gallon batches
3. Hmm

Fortunately, a LBS offered to grind it. (Thanks Mike!) And I have equipment for 2.5 gallon batches, so I will start that way. From Mr. Beer straight to all grain. Whew!

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread