Adding DME to Increase ABV% - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Adding DME to Increase ABV%

Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
ecurran3
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Mt. Pleasant, MI

Moving onto my 4th batch, Brewer's Best Scottish Ale. It calls for 3.3 lbs LME and 1 lb DME, which will get me to 3.25-3.5% ABV. If I wanted to increase the ABV% and get a heavier ale, could I add an additional 1 lb DME? Or will this cause the beer to be too sweet?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 981 Times on 710 Posts

yes, you can add additional DME. as long as you pitch sufficient yeast, it will not make the beer sweeter - just stronger, both in terms of flavor and of alcohol.
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
OrthoBrewer
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Columbia, Missouri

You can also try adding Belgian Candi sugar which is pure sucrose and ferments completely. This will increase the original gravity without adding body to the beer. LME adds 36 ppg, DME 40 ppg, and from what I have read candi sugar adds 42 ppg in crystalline form (as opposed to candi syrup which adds like 32 ppg bc it is mixed it water).

John

Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
ecurran3
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Mt. Pleasant, MI

What could I expect if I added 1 lb Candi Sugar and 1 lb DME?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3704 Times on 3178 Posts

Keep in mind the hop balance can be thrown off too.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 10-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 981 Times on 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrthoBrewer View Post
You can also try adding Belgian Candi sugar which is pure sucrose and ferments completely. This will increase the original gravity without adding body to the beer. LME adds 36 ppg, DME 40 ppg, and from what I have read candi sugar adds 42 ppg in crystalline form (as opposed to candi syrup which adds like 32 ppg bc it is mixed it water).

John
don't bother with candi sugar. if you want sucrose, use sucrose - AKA table sugar. you need to be careful when you add sugar, on the one hand it adds alcohol on the other you need to balance it with other flavors, lest your beer becomes hot and tastes like paint thinner. belgian candi is used in belgian beers which have flavorful yeast to make up for it. IIPAs use sugar also and they have tons of hops to cover the alcohol. adding a bunch of sugar to a mild beer can be a risky proposition... make sure you know what you're doing.

DME adds both alcohol and flavor. it's a much better way to proceed, IMO. i wouldn't add more than a half-pound of sugar to a 3.5% beer, more than that and you'll really taste it (in a bad way).
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
OrthoBrewer
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Columbia, Missouri

I agree with sweetcell, I would add dme, but I was trying to give different options.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
camiller
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Omaha, NE
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts

Plug the original recipe into any recipe software (either stand alone or online) and make note of the BU/GU ratio (IBU/[SG-1]). Now add your additional extract/sugar then tweak the bittering hop till the BU:GU ratio is near what it was before you added the additional fermentables.