Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stressing Yeast in IPAs
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Stressing Yeast in IPAs

I have heard a few pro brewers (Vinnie Cilurzo and Jeff Erway from La Cumbre who won gold at GABF for his IPA) claim that one of the keys to there IPAs is how they treat their yeast. They have both said they underpitch and stress out WLP001 for complimentary esters.

Has anyone else heard about this or tried this technique? I usually use dry yeast and usually don't focus on actual cell count, just that I have enough. This also may be difficult to replicate on a homebrew scale.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I too have found that WLP001 is great for IPA's if you can stress the yeast (I wasn't meaning to but it happened). But instead of gambling with trying to stress the yeast consistently without creating off flavors, I just use WLP051 and mash a little on the dry side to offset the lower attenuation. My IPA's are usually my most commented on brews too.

On Deck: Cornucopia Oktoberfest
Primary: Centennial Blonde v2, Ed Wort's Kolsch
Secondary: none
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH
Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
BJCP ID: F0838
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 443 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I think that's advise is very specific to WLP001 and CERTAIN formulations of IPAs. The esters given off from underpitching WLP001 is very much a fruity, almost bubblegum flavor that would compliment fruity/citrusy IPAs, but would be conflicting with a spicy/earthy IPA.

Anyway, that is certainly a fairly narrow application, not a good general rule.
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've heard of stressing yeast to create esters in Wheat Beers but never heard of doing it with IPA's, although it sounds logical... Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Liked 111 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 349

I think Vinny recommends under-pitching in ipa's to maximize hop flavor; yeast tends to bind hop compounds and pull them out of the beer. I don't think he does it to produce esters.