Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pessimistic about my brewday...

Old 10-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Hopper5000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 59

However, dad, yeah the temp thing might be an issue... you never really know until you taste it but I had an ipa go that high because I forgot to swamp it and it had a hot alcohol taste. One night I had quite a few of em because I was trying to get rid of the beer and had a wicked headache the next day... you might be fine though, not much you can do now. A simple swamp cooler is a great investment though.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper5000 View Post
However, dad, yeah the temp thing might be an issue... you never really know until you taste it but I had an ipa go that high because I forgot to swamp it and it had a hot alcohol taste. One night I had quite a few of em because I was trying to get rid of the beer and had a wicked headache the next day... you might be fine though, not much you can do now. A simple swamp cooler is a great investment though.
I know, I know. I read one testimonial of undrinkably hot alcohol taste from WLP004, but that it had mellowed to a great beer two months down the line. If it's bad, I'll stick it in the basement and leave it alone for a while.

Not really much else to do at this point, right? I will stick it in a rubbermaid tub with water + ice bottle tonight, but that will again be 24 hours in at presumably too high of a temp.

Sigh.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 59

There really isn't much more to do. Mine wasn't undrinkable but it did have a hot taste. When I did a blend with a pale ale I had in the keg next to it, the taste went away though...

You might consider brewing it again and blending the two.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
neko
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Yesterday, my three year old apparently took exception to me using his blanket, and he removed it from the pot - along with most of my other wrappings.
That's the last time you take his stuff for your brewing needs.

"We have invented the world's largest laser system" -Ahnold

Old 10-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #15
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Guess he showed me.

On the other hand, he really enjoyed helping me - doing hop additions, putting in some of the DME, etc. It's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko View Post
That's the last time you take his stuff for your brewing needs.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just as an update, fermentation was already slower and cooler last night; I guess the initial rush (and lion's share of the byproduct production) was done.

It's still bubbling reglarly, but an airlock will do just fine, now. Temp was still 74 degrees. I couldn't manage to lay my hands on anything to make a swamp cooler with, so I grabbed some blue ice packs from the freezer and placed them in contact with the carboy.

This morning, it appeared to be doing the same steady bubbling, but temp was at 67-68 degrees. I swapped out the blue ice with a couple of ice bottles I made the night before (refill 20 oz bottles with water, freeze).

Sigh, should have done at least this to start with!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Finally got around to posting that blog entry, if you care to read it.