Things not to say to adoptive father... - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Things not to say to adoptive father...

Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

Ok, I must be in the minority here but I just say lighten up man. I'll give you the chink comment, that was wrong unless it was in a 100% joking manner, but even then it would depend on how well they knew you. Aside from that change "buy" to just how much does something like that cost and I really don't see the big deal. People are probably asking because they truly want to know and if you don't want to give your personal info out about some of it then just tell them that.

I just don't think any of that, except the two I mentioned, is a problem or should be taken as offense by anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
gestyr
Just an earthbound misfit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Pencilvania
Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceF View Post
If I ever personally hear you say that, I'll dig out your kidneys with a grapefruit spoon. I'm not kidding. I have a grapefruit spoon.
Might I suggest a spork, rather than a grapefruit spoon? The small tines would make it more ... memorable.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
VinceF
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722
Ok, I must be in the minority here but I just say lighten up man. I'll give you the chink comment, that was wrong unless it was in a 100% joking manner, but even then it would depend on how well they knew you. Aside from that change "buy" to just how much does something like that cost and I really don't see the big deal. People are probably asking because they truly want to know and if you don't want to give your personal info out about some of it then just tell them that.

I just don't think any of that, except the two I mentioned, is a problem or should be taken as offense by anyone.
I don't get offended, just annoyed. The whole point was to have a laugh at my imagined snappy comebacks. I'm aware that most people mean well and are just curious. The chink comment came from a couple that we used to hang out with until it became clear that they were racists. So there's that.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #24
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

Quote:
The chink comment came from a couple that we used to hang out with until it became clear that they were racists. So there's that.
Ok, well then yeah spork those ****ers.

But seriously, I would be interested to know why you chose to go with one from china instead of locally, generally speaking. If you don't mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

Should your daughter ever be taunted about being adopted have her say, "My parents picked me. Your parents didn't have a choice about keeping you." Worked wonders for my eldest nephew.

I'm certain she will have a better life here.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

People Like This 
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #26
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7700 Times on 6286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Should your daughter ever be taunted about being adopted have her say, "My parents picked me. Your parents didn't have a choice about keeping you." Worked wonders for my eldest nephew.

I'm certain she will have a better life here.
Brilliant!

Not that orphans deserve any more neglect than they have been dealt but, chinese orphans have it bad. At least here in the states there is a measure of dignity, a required minimal standard of care, a system in place to mitigate neglect, and a requirement for an education.

In china, too often, these girls are thrown away into an establishment and given the absolute minimum for human basic survival.

I completely understand the humanity behind choosing to "rescue" a chinese orphan. It's disgusting how the chinese system will look away at such matters favoring a large number of parents "desire" to have a boy for their one child limit.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #27
VinceF
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722

Ok, well then yeah spork those ****ers.

But seriously, I would be interested to know why you chose to go with one from china instead of locally, generally speaking. If you don't mind.
I don't mind at all. We chose China for a few reasons. It's very stable for one thing. They've been doing international adoptions for decades, so there isn't much worry that they'll pull the rug out from under you.

We considered domestic adoption, but it's a totally different process. In many cases you are interviewing with the birth mother, who selects a family. But at any time she can change her mind, for good reason. So you never really know if or when you'll be able to adopt. Also, most US adoptions now are open and the adoptive family is expected to have significant contact with the birth family. That made my wife and me somewhat uncomfortable. Just a personal preference on our part.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #28
VinceF
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer

Brilliant!

Not that orphans deserve any more neglect than they have been dealt but, chinese orphans have it bad. At least here in the states there is a measure of dignity, a required minimal standard of care, a system in place to mitigate neglect, and a requirement for an education.

In china, too often, these girls are thrown away into an establishment and given the absolute minimum for human basic survival.

I completely understand the humanity behind choosing to "rescue" a chinese orphan. It's disgusting how the chinese system will look away at such matters favoring a large number of parents "desire" to have a boy for their one child limit.
Gila, you're right that Chinese orphans have it pretty rough in most cases. We're very lucky that our girl found her way to a foster home that's run by an Australian expat family. Currently they have over fifty kids in their care. They really provide a good home for as many kids as they can. Many of them are much older and not able to be adopted at this point. In fact, you can check it out at anorphanswish.org if anyone is interested. It definitely gives us peace of mind to know that she's being we'll provided for and loved.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #29
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7700 Times on 6286 Posts

Quote:
Gila, you're right that Chinese orphans have it pretty rough in most cases. We're very lucky that our girl found her way to a foster home that's run by an Australian expat family. Currently they have over fifty kids in their care. They really provide a good home for as many kids as they can. Many of them are much older and not able to be adopted at this point. In fact, you can check it out at anorphanswish.org if anyone is interested. It definitely gives us peace of mind to know that she's being we'll provided for and loved.
Ha.

Wife and I watched a OETA (PBS), I think, documentary regarding chinese orphans is where I get most of my info. IIRC, it was centered around all the changes that anorphanswish is making to improve the situation over there.