Things not to say to adoptive father... - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Things not to say to adoptive father...

Old 10-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Halbrust
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Upland, CA
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts

I hoped this was a joke thread. I'm sad it wasn't, and said those things were actually said to you.
"How much does a Chinese baby cost?" is only funny when it's a joke. When it's a question, there is no humor there.

I do have a question for you as an adoptive father of a child from a different culture... Are you going to put any worry or I emphasis into teaching that child about their birth culture? I am a proponent of teaching children about their history. But not sure how I would handle it if I adopted. Is their history the history of their birth parents. Or is their history the history of my wife and myself?

Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7720 Times on 6301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
Is their history the history of their birth parents. Or is their history the history of my wife and myself?
Their history is of that nation in which they were born. If born in china, the child is chinese. If born in US, that child is american.

As to ancestral relevance, if the child asks, teach.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
VinceF
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I think it will be a mix. Obviously we won't start speaking mandarin around the house, but we will make sure that she stays connected to the place of her birth. In case anyone is wondering about citizenship, she'll be granted US citizenship once we set foot in America, and will conversely lose her Chinese citizenship. She can't be president though!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
TheZymurgist

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Georgia
Liked 243 Times on 179 Posts

Congrats Vince! There are a number of families in our church that have adopted babies from China, so I'm somewhat aware of the costs and challenges. Good luck to you and your family, I know this will bring you much joy and satisfaction, as well as providing a wonderful home for a needy child. I wish you the best!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
fergusmj
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Lafayette, IN
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

It is amazing what people ask sometimes without thinking. People always ask when my wife and I are going to have kids. My response is "we've got two furry ones right now".

In actuality, I want to say "well, since you asked, my wife and I are probably not able to have children due to some of her medical conditions. We would like to adopt one someday if the good lord allows.".

Now I understand that people often don't think about that until they are in the circumstance themselves, but it does get annoying (and emotional for my wife). I know people mean no harm by it, but still.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #16
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Liked 534 Times on 339 Posts

Congratulations and I applaud your restraint, sir!

My wife gets upset with me as I tend to be much less patient around those who are annoyingly stupid or unthinking.
SSBN 641 B

Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #17
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2135 Times on 1410 Posts

Appropriate questions for adoptive father

"A boy or a girl?"
"How long will you be in China before you bring him home?"
"Do you or your wife speak Mandarin/Cantonese?"
"How old is he/she?"

After that Im starting to draw a blank. Maybe the rhetoric "how excited are you, huh?!"

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
tre9er

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts

I think people just need to play it back in their heads before opening their mouths. If it's a delicate subject whatsoever, I try to think of the least potential to offend, or not ask it at all. It also depends on how well you know the person. I might ask a very close friend if they don't mind sharing the approximate cost of the process of adopting from China, but even in that case, I'd never ask how much it cost to buy a baby...If I didn't know them very well I wouldn't even comment on the financial aspect as it's personal, as you mentioned, like asking how much money someone makes. And really, unless I'm considering the same, there's no reason to ask in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #19
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7720 Times on 6301 Posts

I was going to say that, one day, I hope your daughter has a happy ending but, given the ethnic considerations, I thought I should refrain.

Wait, whoops.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
Wobbegong

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Huntington, CT
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

There's a lot of socially inept people out there. Don't take their words to heart.

Congrats on the adoption. You're doing a fine thing.