Wyeast 2112 - fermented a bit high - thoughts? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 2112 - fermented a bit high - thoughts?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
dangerbrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
At work, getting paid to surf homebrewtalk...
Posts: 313
Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts



Hey guys -

So I got a pretty late start this year on my Oktoberfest and didn't end up brewing it until about the 6th of October. Just racked it over into the keg and on first taste it was a little fruity/solventy. I'm chocking this up to the 1-3 day period where this beer was at 66-68 F using Wyeast 2112. Not something I planned on - one of those uncontrollable instances. I know on the pack it says it retains lager characteristics up to 65, which seems to be the case so far, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this sort of situation with this yeast and what their results were when they eventually tapped it?

I'm planning on letting this one sit around till about christmas and then seeing what happens while those yeasties are working away at it.

#alwaysinspiredbyRevvy'sthread


__________________
THE NOOK BREWERY
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Brewtah
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 669
Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts


I know this is a bit out since you brewed. I used 2112 and then we had a heat wave. 1-2 weeks it tasted a little medicinal, then it mellowed and was really good. My best of 5 batches.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
THEUKRAINIAN
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Camillus, New York
Posts: 102
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtah
I know this is a bit out since you brewed. I used 2112 and then we had a heat wave. 1-2 weeks it tasted a little medicinal, then it mellowed and was really good. My best of 5 batches.
I just recently pitched at 85f 2112 in a lager wort. I then brought it to temperature around 62f. I don't see any issue with my first batch ever. However, is there any way of telling if the yeast is dead? I have portions of it floating at the top and bottom.
__________________
--Андрій
http://theukrainianbrewer.wordpress.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
dangerbrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
At work, getting paid to surf homebrewtalk...
Posts: 313
Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts


That's pretty high for pitching, man. Yeast can survive at up to about 90 F but that's probably so high that it shocked the yeast. Some may still be alive but it will probably take it a while to get back to a reasonable cell count to start fermenting. Have you seen krausen yet?

Also, to update on my situation, the beer is still in the keg, haven't tapped it yet - haven't really had the space on my kegerator for it and I figure I'll just throw it on sometime when I have nothing else to put on or just bring it to a party or something. I'm sure by now it's mellowed out pretty well though.
__________________
THE NOOK BREWERY
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
THEUKRAINIAN
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Camillus, New York
Posts: 102
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerbrew View Post
That's pretty high for pitching, man. Yeast can survive at up to about 90 F but that's probably so high that it shocked the yeast. Some may still be alive but it will probably take it a while to get back to a reasonable cell count to start fermenting. Have you seen krausen yet?

Also, to update on my situation, the beer is still in the keg, haven't tapped it yet - haven't really had the space on my kegerator for it and I figure I'll just throw it on sometime when I have nothing else to put on or just bring it to a party or something. I'm sure by now it's mellowed out pretty well though.
Thanks, ill remember not to get drunk with friends and pitch yeast to wort.
__________________
--Андрій
http://theukrainianbrewer.wordpress.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,505
Liked 7366 Times on 5207 Posts


Actually, it has to be about 120 degrees to kill the yeast. Yeast actually LOVE warm temperatures and would be very active at 85 degrees. So you definitely didn't kill the yeast, but you may have some off-flavors from them reproducing and beginning fermentation at a too-warm temperature.

Next time, chill the wort to 60-65 degrees for ales and 45-50 degrees for lagers before adding the yeast!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #7
THEUKRAINIAN
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Camillus, New York
Posts: 102
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Actually, it has to be about 120 degrees to kill the yeast. Yeast actually LOVE warm temperatures and would be very active at 85 degrees. So you definitely didn't kill the yeast, but you may have some off-flavors from them reproducing and beginning fermentation at a too-warm temperature.

Next time, chill the wort to 60-65 degrees for ales and 45-50 degrees for lagers before adding the yeast!
Thanks for the tip!


__________________
--Андрій
http://theukrainianbrewer.wordpress.com

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wyeast 2112? rmr9 Recipes/Ingredients 7 05-23-2013 06:27 PM
Wyeast 2112 Chulsky Fermentation & Yeast 2 02-29-2012 06:25 PM
wyeast 2112 - No Krausen Grimm Fermentation & Yeast 2 07-01-2011 03:45 PM
Wyeast 2112 question Metzger22 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 05-05-2009 05:31 PM
Wyeast 2112 StankAle General Beer Discussion 8 02-26-2008 03:28 PM


Forum Jump