decided to try a pilsner or lager of some sort, ideas? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > decided to try a pilsner or lager of some sort, ideas?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
basilchef
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts



I will be attempting my first lager style beer and wanted to know what you all have done in the past that has worked for you. I have checked the recipe data base and want more ideas. My swmbo has had enough of my life changing ipa's and wheat beers. Lets put this fermenter to good use!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
leaf
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
tempe, az
Posts: 35
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Well I can tell you my first lager was a Marzen and it flew off my shelves. I was getting sick of PAs for a minute, and needed something malty. Pretty simple recipe with just munich and noble hops.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
basilchef
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf View Post
Well I can tell you my first lager was a Marzen and it flew off my shelves. I was getting sick of PAs for a minute, and needed something malty. Pretty simple recipe with just munich and noble hops.
thank you i will look into marzens a bit closer. im noticing alot of smash recipes for pilsners...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
BetterSense
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Richardson, Texas
Posts: 1,025
Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts


I brewed my first lager this year. 10lb of pilsner malt, 1/4 pound of Saaz, WLP800. BIAB mashed around 68C and boiled 90min. Fermented around 10C then lagered near freezing for 4 weeks.

I think I might have used a bit more hops and been ok.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #5

Why don't you review the BJCP style guidelines and see what strikes your fancy. There are a huge range of lagers. Without knowing what type of beer you like or what you are looking for, it's virtually impossible to give you decent advice. Frankly, don't contemplate a lager unless you have the ability to pitch enough healthy yeast, provide a good amount of O2 for them to thrive, and control your temperature in the proper range for whatever yeast you employ.

You mentioned pilsners. Bohemian pilsner is one of my favourite styles. I made 10g yesterday. 79% Weyermann pilsner malt, 11% carapils, 9% carahell, 1% acidulated. Saaz hops to 41 IBUs with one addition at 75 minutes another at 10 minutes, and another in the whirlpool for aroma. I'll also give it a short dry-hopping. Reverse osmosis water with a small calcium chloride addition. Wyeast 2278. Recipe was devised after reading "Continental Pilsner" by David Miller.

I did make a SMASH pilsner once upon a time but would never do it again.
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
basilchef
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr
Why don't you review the BJCP style guidelines and see what strikes your fancy. There are a huge range of lagers. Without knowing what type of beer you like or what you are looking for, it's virtually impossible to give you decent advice. Frankly, don't contemplate a lager unless you have the ability to pitch enough healthy yeast, provide a good amount of O2 for them to thrive, and control your temperature in the proper range for whatever yeast you employ.

You mentioned pilsners. Bohemian pilsner is one of my favourite styles. I made 10g yesterday. 79% Weyermann pilsner malt, 11% carapils, 9% carahell, 1% acidulated. Saaz hops to 41 IBUs with one addition at 75 minutes another at 10 minutes, and another in the whirlpool for aroma. I'll also give it a short dry-hopping. Reverse osmosis water with a small calcium chloride addition. Wyeast 2278. Recipe was devised after reading "Continental Pilsner" by David Miller.

I did make a SMASH pilsner once upon a time but would never do it again.
Thanks a bunch. I have a stir plate, 7 gal kettle, mash tun and a fermentation chamber built from a fridge with temp control which can reach freezing temps. O2 would be my only concern, i have had great success stirring the heck out of wort in the past. I have made a lot of ipa's Amber, rye and wheats. Looking for something to suit my tastes as well as those less ventured in beer tasting. I just want something new to try. The temps in my house have become ale yeast tolerable, thus freeing up my ferment chamber for long time use. Im leaning towards an American pilsner with a bit more body, malt forward and a unique hop character. Cheers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #7
basilchef
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


More.... Replies... Please... Need... Imput.... Aghhhh.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
dinnerstick
 
dinnerstick's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
utrecht, netherlands
Posts: 2,019
Liked 271 Times on 198 Posts


rauchbier? a well made one is delicate and excellent, like the hint of hardwood campfire left on your jacket the day after a bonfire (rather than like sticking your face in acrid pine smoke)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #9
basilchef
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


thanks for the input guys. now i am hoping you could help resolve another question i have... I am noticeing that most pilsners are fermented for a few weeks at a low temp (mid 40's - 50's) then lagered for around two months. That seems like along time for a 5% beer. Is it typical for a lager to take around three months start to finish? can they be done sooner? ive done some reading and will continue my research but was hoping for a more simple answer from people who have already gone through the process for the first time. thanks and cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
Brulosopher
 
Brulosopher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
, CA
Posts: 2,932
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef
thanks for the input guys. now i am hoping you could help resolve another question i have... I am noticeing that most pilsners are fermented for a few weeks at a low temp (mid 40's - 50's) then lagered for around two months. That seems like along time for a 5% beer. Is it typical for a lager to take around three months start to finish? can they be done sooner? ive done some reading and will continue my research but was hoping for a more simple answer from people who have already gone through the process for the first time. thanks and cheers!
Lagering isn't magic and doesn't necessarily require a set amount of time... it's simply storing a beer cold and allowing minuscule particulates to settle out. As with ale yeasts, some take longer while others are quicker. Either way, a crisp and bright lager beer will likely need at least 4 weeks at near freezing temps. I ferment around 52-55F for 2 weeks, raise to 68F for a 2-3 day diacetyl rest, cold crash for a week, transfer from primary to keg and let it lager while carbing up in my keezer for a month. I test it weekly until it is crystal clear, then drink like a banshee!
__________________
Brulosophy is a place to experiment with home brews. If you've had a crazy idea or wondered how something worked please visit us at Brulosophy.com!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lager/Pilsner Kit ThePonchoKid Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 05-04-2012 10:01 PM
Looking for a recipe similar to Lammsbrau organic pilsner, any ideas? Fanoffermentation All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 07-21-2011 06:08 PM
DIY (sort of) lager fermenter mrpeccator Fermenters 7 02-02-2011 04:57 PM
Is pilsner a ale or lager? Indyking Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 60 08-30-2010 08:53 PM
Newb looking for pilsner ideas! jstiller Recipes/Ingredients 2 12-13-2008 12:14 AM


Forum Jump